Oct 20, 2012, 7:56 PM EST
The last thing any NHL team wants is for one of their key players to get injured during the lockout. That happened Friday night when the Carolina Hurricanes’ Justin Faulk left an AHL game due to an injury.
Fortunately, it looks like the injury isn’t serious and he’s currently day-to-day with a muscle strain, according to the Charlotte Checkers’ website. He might not be in the lineup this weekend, but it sounds like that might be the extent of the impact this injury has on him.
Faulk stepped up last season and made a great impression as a rookie while recording 22 points in 66 games with the Hurricanes. Carolina GM Jim Rutherford sees Faulk as a top-four defensemen.
“To think that he’s 19 years old, and to have the composure he has, and the way he handles the puck and the way he handles different situations, how he moves the puck, how he skates,” Rutherford previously told the Raleigh News & Observer.
Once the lockout ends, Faulk will resume his Hurricanes’ career, but until then, he’ll get an opportunity to continue his development in the temporarily enhanced AHL. That’s assuming, of course, that he can stay healthy.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)