Oct 20, 2012, 7:56 PM EDT
The last thing any NHL team wants is for one of their key players to get injured during the lockout. That happened Friday night when the Carolina Hurricanes’ Justin Faulk left an AHL game due to an injury.
Fortunately, it looks like the injury isn’t serious and he’s currently day-to-day with a muscle strain, according to the Charlotte Checkers’ website. He might not be in the lineup this weekend, but it sounds like that might be the extent of the impact this injury has on him.
Faulk stepped up last season and made a great impression as a rookie while recording 22 points in 66 games with the Hurricanes. Carolina GM Jim Rutherford sees Faulk as a top-four defensemen.
“To think that he’s 19 years old, and to have the composure he has, and the way he handles the puck and the way he handles different situations, how he moves the puck, how he skates,” Rutherford previously told the Raleigh News & Observer.
Once the lockout ends, Faulk will resume his Hurricanes’ career, but until then, he’ll get an opportunity to continue his development in the temporarily enhanced AHL. That’s assuming, of course, that he can stay healthy.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)