Oct 20, 2012, 7:56 PM EST
The last thing any NHL team wants is for one of their key players to get injured during the lockout. That happened Friday night when the Carolina Hurricanes’ Justin Faulk left an AHL game due to an injury.
Fortunately, it looks like the injury isn’t serious and he’s currently day-to-day with a muscle strain, according to the Charlotte Checkers’ website. He might not be in the lineup this weekend, but it sounds like that might be the extent of the impact this injury has on him.
Faulk stepped up last season and made a great impression as a rookie while recording 22 points in 66 games with the Hurricanes. Carolina GM Jim Rutherford sees Faulk as a top-four defensemen.
“To think that he’s 19 years old, and to have the composure he has, and the way he handles the puck and the way he handles different situations, how he moves the puck, how he skates,” Rutherford previously told the Raleigh News & Observer.
Once the lockout ends, Faulk will resume his Hurricanes’ career, but until then, he’ll get an opportunity to continue his development in the temporarily enhanced AHL. That’s assuming, of course, that he can stay healthy.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 7
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 9
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 8
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)