Oct 20, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
When this lockout ends, the Montreal Canadiens will be looking to bounce back from their disastrous 2011-12 campaign. They will do so with a new coach and GM in Michel Therrien and Marc Bergevin respectively, but they didn’t make major tweaks to their roster over the summer.
Still, there team could have a very different feel to it if Andrei Markov can stay healthy after playing in just 20 games over the last two seasons.
“He’s the guy, the key,” Don Cherry told the Montreal Gazette. “If you look at when (Chris) Pronger was with Philly, well, Markov is the stud you’ve got to have back there.”
Markov recently made headlines when implied that he might stay in the KHL. He later clarified that his priority is to come back to Montreal after the lockout.
Cherry also thinks highly of Therrien.
“In Pittsburgh, I don’t know what happened,” Cherry said. “I think he got a little carried away with things. But if you look at his earlier coaching there, I think he’s learned a few lessons to take it easy.”
So perhaps Montreal will bounce back once the lockout ends. Either way, they seem to come with Cherry’s stamp of approval.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)