Oct 20, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
When this lockout ends, the Montreal Canadiens will be looking to bounce back from their disastrous 2011-12 campaign. They will do so with a new coach and GM in Michel Therrien and Marc Bergevin respectively, but they didn’t make major tweaks to their roster over the summer.
Still, there team could have a very different feel to it if Andrei Markov can stay healthy after playing in just 20 games over the last two seasons.
“He’s the guy, the key,” Don Cherry told the Montreal Gazette. “If you look at when (Chris) Pronger was with Philly, well, Markov is the stud you’ve got to have back there.”
Markov recently made headlines when implied that he might stay in the KHL. He later clarified that his priority is to come back to Montreal after the lockout.
Cherry also thinks highly of Therrien.
“In Pittsburgh, I don’t know what happened,” Cherry said. “I think he got a little carried away with things. But if you look at his earlier coaching there, I think he’s learned a few lessons to take it easy.”
So perhaps Montreal will bounce back once the lockout ends. Either way, they seem to come with Cherry’s stamp of approval.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)