Oct 20, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
When this lockout ends, the Montreal Canadiens will be looking to bounce back from their disastrous 2011-12 campaign. They will do so with a new coach and GM in Michel Therrien and Marc Bergevin respectively, but they didn’t make major tweaks to their roster over the summer.
Still, there team could have a very different feel to it if Andrei Markov can stay healthy after playing in just 20 games over the last two seasons.
“He’s the guy, the key,” Don Cherry told the Montreal Gazette. “If you look at when (Chris) Pronger was with Philly, well, Markov is the stud you’ve got to have back there.”
Markov recently made headlines when implied that he might stay in the KHL. He later clarified that his priority is to come back to Montreal after the lockout.
Cherry also thinks highly of Therrien.
“In Pittsburgh, I don’t know what happened,” Cherry said. “I think he got a little carried away with things. But if you look at his earlier coaching there, I think he’s learned a few lessons to take it easy.”
So perhaps Montreal will bounce back once the lockout ends. Either way, they seem to come with Cherry’s stamp of approval.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)