Oct 20, 2012, 9:28 PM EST
When this lockout ends, the Montreal Canadiens will be looking to bounce back from their disastrous 2011-12 campaign. They will do so with a new coach and GM in Michel Therrien and Marc Bergevin respectively, but they didn’t make major tweaks to their roster over the summer.
Still, there team could have a very different feel to it if Andrei Markov can stay healthy after playing in just 20 games over the last two seasons.
“He’s the guy, the key,” Don Cherry told the Montreal Gazette. “If you look at when (Chris) Pronger was with Philly, well, Markov is the stud you’ve got to have back there.”
Markov recently made headlines when implied that he might stay in the KHL. He later clarified that his priority is to come back to Montreal after the lockout.
Cherry also thinks highly of Therrien.
“In Pittsburgh, I don’t know what happened,” Cherry said. “I think he got a little carried away with things. But if you look at his earlier coaching there, I think he’s learned a few lessons to take it easy.”
So perhaps Montreal will bounce back once the lockout ends. Either way, they seem to come with Cherry’s stamp of approval.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)