The Ottawa Senators have been “encouraging the league to try and make a deal as quickly as possible”
Oct 19, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
Ottawa Senators president Cyril Leeder assured season-ticket holders Wednesday in a video-conference call that the club isn’t taking fan support for granted.
And if we’re not mistaken, Leeder also seemed to suggest the Sens were pressing the NHL to end the lockout.
“What we’re trying to do the best we can is provide feedback back to the league … and they understand what the mood is here in our community,” he said, as per the Ottawa Sun. “What we’ve been telling them is our fans are not in the same spot they were seven years ago. They’re not going to put up with a long lockout. We’re encouraging the league to try to make a deal as quickly as possible.”
Perhaps Leeder didn’t get the memo that only Gary Bettman and Bill Daly are allowed to speak on behalf of the owners when it comes to CBA negotiations. (We’re not sure what constitutes a fine-worthy offense in that regard, though we’d like to think Brendan Shanahan makes a video explaining it.)
At any rate, it’s worth nothing that the Sens launched a season-ticket drive in February in hopes of raising their base from 11,300 to 13,000. One would assume their near upset of the New York Rangers in the first round of the playoffs helped efforts, but clearly they aren’t in the same position as other Canadian clubs that have waiting lists for season tickets.
Here’s the conference call in full:
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)