The Ottawa Senators have been “encouraging the league to try and make a deal as quickly as possible”
Oct 19, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
Ottawa Senators president Cyril Leeder assured season-ticket holders Wednesday in a video-conference call that the club isn’t taking fan support for granted.
And if we’re not mistaken, Leeder also seemed to suggest the Sens were pressing the NHL to end the lockout.
“What we’re trying to do the best we can is provide feedback back to the league … and they understand what the mood is here in our community,” he said, as per the Ottawa Sun. “What we’ve been telling them is our fans are not in the same spot they were seven years ago. They’re not going to put up with a long lockout. We’re encouraging the league to try to make a deal as quickly as possible.”
Perhaps Leeder didn’t get the memo that only Gary Bettman and Bill Daly are allowed to speak on behalf of the owners when it comes to CBA negotiations. (We’re not sure what constitutes a fine-worthy offense in that regard, though we’d like to think Brendan Shanahan makes a video explaining it.)
At any rate, it’s worth nothing that the Sens launched a season-ticket drive in February in hopes of raising their base from 11,300 to 13,000. One would assume their near upset of the New York Rangers in the first round of the playoffs helped efforts, but clearly they aren’t in the same position as other Canadian clubs that have waiting lists for season tickets.
Here’s the conference call in full:
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 18
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 52
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)