The Ottawa Senators have been “encouraging the league to try and make a deal as quickly as possible”
Oct 19, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
Ottawa Senators president Cyril Leeder assured season-ticket holders Wednesday in a video-conference call that the club isn’t taking fan support for granted.
And if we’re not mistaken, Leeder also seemed to suggest the Sens were pressing the NHL to end the lockout.
“What we’re trying to do the best we can is provide feedback back to the league … and they understand what the mood is here in our community,” he said, as per the Ottawa Sun. “What we’ve been telling them is our fans are not in the same spot they were seven years ago. They’re not going to put up with a long lockout. We’re encouraging the league to try to make a deal as quickly as possible.”
Perhaps Leeder didn’t get the memo that only Gary Bettman and Bill Daly are allowed to speak on behalf of the owners when it comes to CBA negotiations. (We’re not sure what constitutes a fine-worthy offense in that regard, though we’d like to think Brendan Shanahan makes a video explaining it.)
At any rate, it’s worth nothing that the Sens launched a season-ticket drive in February in hopes of raising their base from 11,300 to 13,000. One would assume their near upset of the New York Rangers in the first round of the playoffs helped efforts, but clearly they aren’t in the same position as other Canadian clubs that have waiting lists for season tickets.
Here’s the conference call in full:
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 7
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 2
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 13
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 19
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)