Oct 19, 2012, 6:53 PM EST
If you’re just joining us, Sportsnet’s John Shannon recently asserted that a trade to send Roberto Luongo to the Toronto Maple Leafs is done. Even after Gillis issued his denial, Shannon isn’t backing down.
“Obviously, neither team confirmed my story, nor should they,” Shannon wrote on Sportsnet. “Quite frankly, without a CBA in place, trades can’t occur, and team officials publicly discussing any player transactions would result in some sort fine from New York.
“However, I have been told that the next time Roberto Luongo plays in the NHL, he will play for the Toronto Maple Leafs. It is from a reputable source. End of story.”
In Toronto, Bozak has a knack for slipping into the role of top-line center, but that’s because Toronto has lacked top-tier talent up the middle. However, if James van Riemsdyk is able to successfully shift to center, then their first-line center problems could be solved.
If he’s dealt to the Canucks, Bozak would likely slide into the role of third-line center, which is both a position that needs filling in Vancouver and one he’d perform admirably in.
Most importantly, the deal would get Roberto Luongo’s annual cap hit of $5,333,333 through the 2021-22 campaign off Vancouver’s books and give the Toronto Maple Leafs a proven number one goaltender to go along with James Reimer.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)