Oct 19, 2012, 6:53 PM EDT
If you’re just joining us, Sportsnet’s John Shannon recently asserted that a trade to send Roberto Luongo to the Toronto Maple Leafs is done. Even after Gillis issued his denial, Shannon isn’t backing down.
“Obviously, neither team confirmed my story, nor should they,” Shannon wrote on Sportsnet. “Quite frankly, without a CBA in place, trades can’t occur, and team officials publicly discussing any player transactions would result in some sort fine from New York.
“However, I have been told that the next time Roberto Luongo plays in the NHL, he will play for the Toronto Maple Leafs. It is from a reputable source. End of story.”
In Toronto, Bozak has a knack for slipping into the role of top-line center, but that’s because Toronto has lacked top-tier talent up the middle. However, if James van Riemsdyk is able to successfully shift to center, then their first-line center problems could be solved.
If he’s dealt to the Canucks, Bozak would likely slide into the role of third-line center, which is both a position that needs filling in Vancouver and one he’d perform admirably in.
Most importantly, the deal would get Roberto Luongo’s annual cap hit of $5,333,333 through the 2021-22 campaign off Vancouver’s books and give the Toronto Maple Leafs a proven number one goaltender to go along with James Reimer.
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 0
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 1
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 23
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 33
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw