Oct 19, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
Having witnessed owners reject the NHLPA’s three CBA proposals, Shawn Horcoff now fears for the fate of the 2012-13 season.
“I am worried for the season, I’m really worried,” the Oilers captain told the Edmonton Sun. “Especially after today, seeing what I saw. I think the next step is cancelling another big chunk of games, probably into the middle of November.”
Horcoff was one of 18 players in Toronto for Thursday’s meeting and, from what he saw, the negotiations went nowhere.
“There was no talk whatsoever, not even any communication among their own people in the room, among the owners. It was that quick,” he explained. “It didn’t really matter what we had to say. Unless we totally accepted their deal, they weren’t going to take it. ”
Horcoff also shared his disdain for commissioner Gary Bettman, re-iterating a common refrain heard throughout the work stoppage:
Players don’t trust Bettman. Nor do they like him.
Horcoff said the players huddled to watch Bettman’s post-meeting presser and were “going crazy” at what the commissioner told the media.
Things have gotten to the point where the players’ emotions have made the union almost defiant in its stance, something Horcoff shared with the Sun.
“We’re willing to sit the year out if it means getting the right deal,” he said.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)