Oct 19, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Having witnessed owners reject the NHLPA’s three CBA proposals, Shawn Horcoff now fears for the fate of the 2012-13 season.
“I am worried for the season, I’m really worried,” the Oilers captain told the Edmonton Sun. “Especially after today, seeing what I saw. I think the next step is cancelling another big chunk of games, probably into the middle of November.”
Horcoff was one of 18 players in Toronto for Thursday’s meeting and, from what he saw, the negotiations went nowhere.
“There was no talk whatsoever, not even any communication among their own people in the room, among the owners. It was that quick,” he explained. “It didn’t really matter what we had to say. Unless we totally accepted their deal, they weren’t going to take it. ”
Horcoff also shared his disdain for commissioner Gary Bettman, re-iterating a common refrain heard throughout the work stoppage:
Players don’t trust Bettman. Nor do they like him.
Horcoff said the players huddled to watch Bettman’s post-meeting presser and were “going crazy” at what the commissioner told the media.
Things have gotten to the point where the players’ emotions have made the union almost defiant in its stance, something Horcoff shared with the Sun.
“We’re willing to sit the year out if it means getting the right deal,” he said.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)