Oct 19, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Having witnessed owners reject the NHLPA’s three CBA proposals, Shawn Horcoff now fears for the fate of the 2012-13 season.
“I am worried for the season, I’m really worried,” the Oilers captain told the Edmonton Sun. “Especially after today, seeing what I saw. I think the next step is cancelling another big chunk of games, probably into the middle of November.”
Horcoff was one of 18 players in Toronto for Thursday’s meeting and, from what he saw, the negotiations went nowhere.
“There was no talk whatsoever, not even any communication among their own people in the room, among the owners. It was that quick,” he explained. “It didn’t really matter what we had to say. Unless we totally accepted their deal, they weren’t going to take it. ”
Horcoff also shared his disdain for commissioner Gary Bettman, re-iterating a common refrain heard throughout the work stoppage:
Players don’t trust Bettman. Nor do they like him.
Horcoff said the players huddled to watch Bettman’s post-meeting presser and were “going crazy” at what the commissioner told the media.
Things have gotten to the point where the players’ emotions have made the union almost defiant in its stance, something Horcoff shared with the Sun.
“We’re willing to sit the year out if it means getting the right deal,” he said.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)