Oct 19, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Having witnessed owners reject the NHLPA’s three CBA proposals, Shawn Horcoff now fears for the fate of the 2012-13 season.
“I am worried for the season, I’m really worried,” the Oilers captain told the Edmonton Sun. “Especially after today, seeing what I saw. I think the next step is cancelling another big chunk of games, probably into the middle of November.”
Horcoff was one of 18 players in Toronto for Thursday’s meeting and, from what he saw, the negotiations went nowhere.
“There was no talk whatsoever, not even any communication among their own people in the room, among the owners. It was that quick,” he explained. “It didn’t really matter what we had to say. Unless we totally accepted their deal, they weren’t going to take it. ”
Horcoff also shared his disdain for commissioner Gary Bettman, re-iterating a common refrain heard throughout the work stoppage:
Players don’t trust Bettman. Nor do they like him.
Horcoff said the players huddled to watch Bettman’s post-meeting presser and were “going crazy” at what the commissioner told the media.
Things have gotten to the point where the players’ emotions have made the union almost defiant in its stance, something Horcoff shared with the Sun.
“We’re willing to sit the year out if it means getting the right deal,” he said.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)