Oct 19, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Having witnessed owners reject the NHLPA’s three CBA proposals, Shawn Horcoff now fears for the fate of the 2012-13 season.
“I am worried for the season, I’m really worried,” the Oilers captain told the Edmonton Sun. “Especially after today, seeing what I saw. I think the next step is cancelling another big chunk of games, probably into the middle of November.”
Horcoff was one of 18 players in Toronto for Thursday’s meeting and, from what he saw, the negotiations went nowhere.
“There was no talk whatsoever, not even any communication among their own people in the room, among the owners. It was that quick,” he explained. “It didn’t really matter what we had to say. Unless we totally accepted their deal, they weren’t going to take it. ”
Horcoff also shared his disdain for commissioner Gary Bettman, re-iterating a common refrain heard throughout the work stoppage:
Players don’t trust Bettman. Nor do they like him.
Horcoff said the players huddled to watch Bettman’s post-meeting presser and were “going crazy” at what the commissioner told the media.
Things have gotten to the point where the players’ emotions have made the union almost defiant in its stance, something Horcoff shared with the Sun.
“We’re willing to sit the year out if it means getting the right deal,” he said.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 0
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 9
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 2
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 42
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination