Oct 19, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
When it comes to goalies, Philly can’t catch a break.
That’s the word out of the Flyers’ ECHL affiliate in Trenton, as 24-year-old Finnish netminding prospect Niko Hovinen suffered a neck/whiplash injury in the Titans’ 3-1 win over Reading on Wednesday.
CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio reports Hovinen’s left arm and shoulder were wrapped after the game, and got word from Flyers GM Paul Holmgren that Hovinen is day-to-day and will be reevaluated this weekend.
For those unfamiliar with him, Hovinen’s an interesting character. He’s a massive physical presence (6-foot-7) that was once a promising talent, taken by Minnesota in the 5th round of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
Then, after failing to latch on with the Wild and falling off the radar, he burst back onto the scene in 2010 with SM-liiga club Pelicans, posting two solid seasons (in 2011-12 he played in 41 games, posting a 2.26 GAA and .920 save percentage.)
Last May, he signed a three-year entry-level deal with the Flyers.
He was expected to play with AHL Adirondack during the lockout but, according to Panaccio, “looked terrible” in the Phantoms preseason opener and was sent to the ECHL.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)