Oct 19, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
When it comes to goalies, Philly can’t catch a break.
That’s the word out of the Flyers’ ECHL affiliate in Trenton, as 24-year-old Finnish netminding prospect Niko Hovinen suffered a neck/whiplash injury in the Titans’ 3-1 win over Reading on Wednesday.
CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio reports Hovinen’s left arm and shoulder were wrapped after the game, and got word from Flyers GM Paul Holmgren that Hovinen is day-to-day and will be reevaluated this weekend.
For those unfamiliar with him, Hovinen’s an interesting character. He’s a massive physical presence (6-foot-7) that was once a promising talent, taken by Minnesota in the 5th round of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
Then, after failing to latch on with the Wild and falling off the radar, he burst back onto the scene in 2010 with SM-liiga club Pelicans, posting two solid seasons (in 2011-12 he played in 41 games, posting a 2.26 GAA and .920 save percentage.)
Last May, he signed a three-year entry-level deal with the Flyers.
He was expected to play with AHL Adirondack during the lockout but, according to Panaccio, “looked terrible” in the Phantoms preseason opener and was sent to the ECHL.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)