Oct 19, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
When it comes to goalies, Philly can’t catch a break.
That’s the word out of the Flyers’ ECHL affiliate in Trenton, as 24-year-old Finnish netminding prospect Niko Hovinen suffered a neck/whiplash injury in the Titans’ 3-1 win over Reading on Wednesday.
CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio reports Hovinen’s left arm and shoulder were wrapped after the game, and got word from Flyers GM Paul Holmgren that Hovinen is day-to-day and will be reevaluated this weekend.
For those unfamiliar with him, Hovinen’s an interesting character. He’s a massive physical presence (6-foot-7) that was once a promising talent, taken by Minnesota in the 5th round of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
Then, after failing to latch on with the Wild and falling off the radar, he burst back onto the scene in 2010 with SM-liiga club Pelicans, posting two solid seasons (in 2011-12 he played in 41 games, posting a 2.26 GAA and .920 save percentage.)
Last May, he signed a three-year entry-level deal with the Flyers.
He was expected to play with AHL Adirondack during the lockout but, according to Panaccio, “looked terrible” in the Phantoms preseason opener and was sent to the ECHL.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)