Crosby looking “a little harder” at playing in Europe

Oct 19, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT

Sidney Crosby Getty Images

There’s been plenty of talk during the lockout of Sidney Crosby playing overseas.

Now, Crosby is talking about it as well.

The Pittsburgh captain admitted on Thursday he’s going to start looking closer at what European opportunities might be available after being a first-hand witness to failed negotiations between the NHL and NHLPA.

“A little harder, yeah,” Crosby told the Canadian Press about looking at his options. “I think that’s something that everyone’s got to figure out. You try to figure out where things stand and I don’t think they’re in a great spot right now.”

The subject of Crosby playing in Europe has been bandied about for weeks, ever since agent Pat Brisson said he was “entertaining conversations with teams and leagues overseas.”

Brisson admitted those conversations were in their infancy and that no deal was imminent, but also suggested talks would become more serious if the lockout persisted.

Since the lockout has persisted, one can assume conversations have heated up.

Now, the big sticking point about Crosby playing overseas is insuring his contract…given, you know, the whole concussion thing.

The 12-year, $104.4 million pact Crosby signed with Pittsburgh in June could reportedly cost $400k per month to insure, a steep price for a number of European clubs.

For example, consider this recent Postmedia article about the “business” of KHL clubs:

The KHL does not have a feasible business model. It survives off many hundreds of millions of dollars from oligarchs whose dubious fortunes were amassed when they ruthlessly bought up huge state enterprises for a song during the brutal months that followed the collapse of the Soviet Union.

“The KHL is not a realistic business project,” said Roman Belyaev, marketing manager for Metallurg Novokuznetsk, based in a city of 600,000 people tucked away in central Siberia. “There are only four or five good businesses in the whole league.”

And this is the financial landscape of what many (including Alex Ovechkin) regard as the best league going. So yeah.

1. richc111 - Oct 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I find it interesting that players would play for significantly less than they would make in the NHL, plus risk injury to boot. What i hear is that players are willing to play for less money, as long as it isn’t in the NHL.

• boardupthehouse - Oct 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Only as a temporary solution to stay sharp, it’s not like they’d stay there

2. id4joey - Oct 19, 2012 at 2:13 PM

This is not about playing for less money. It’s about not giving in to the demands of the owners. Listen! If my employer would cut 10% from my salary I would be pissed. However, I have choices. Stay or find a better paying job anywhere in the world. Or, I can find a less paying job to make a point. Players have a choice, give in to the owners, or go their own way. Everyone has choices to make.

• richc111 - Oct 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Well it is kind of about playing for less money. Let’s use your scenario. Where you works cuts your pay 10%. So you quit to go take a job that pays 50% less to prove a point. Hey to me it don’t matter let the whole league do whatever they want to do. I will worry in January when there is no football.

3. id4joey - Oct 19, 2012 at 2:17 PM

BTW, I think Sid should go to Europe if someone is willing to insure him.

“The cost comes based on games played and so on and so forth and it changes on a week-to-week basis,” Brisson said. “All these players that are going to Europe right now, they’re covering themselves in the event that there’s a short-term injury… So it could vary anywhere between $200,000 to $400,000 a month to cover a certain portion.”

4. jimw81 - Oct 19, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Look who decided to run away from the problem. Where are all the Giroux posters???

I wonder if bettman would push the panic button if crosby goes to khl.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Oct 19, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I haven’t seen Giroux whining and tearing up over this like Cindy Babypants.

5. blomfeld - Oct 19, 2012 at 2:56 PM

PENGUIN BRASSIERES NOW ON SALE ! … Buy two, get one free !

The bottom line is that Crosby’s threat of going to the KHL, holds about as much clout as Ovechkin’s threat to stay in the KHL … it’s never going to happen … not today, not tomorrow, not ever ! The entire notion is so idiotic and childish that it’s almost embarrassing. Yeah, I could just see the “money” being comfortable with their Golden Boy choking on “radioactive” tap-water in some KHL hotel room in Smolensk ! In fact, this is actually “so” stupid and lame, that I’m now retracting my nomination for Crosby in the category of “Best Performance in a Dramatic Role” ! :)

• id4joey - Oct 19, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Hold on there Mr. blomfeld. It doesn’t have to be the KHL. I know, it’s not about the location but rather about playing anywhere but the NHL. Well! I still believe he should go if he gets insured. My 2 cents.

• williplett - Oct 20, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Bloomy: Did a fourth liner from the NHL run off with your girlfriend and go to the KHL? You have an irrational amount of hate for that upstart league. It’s making you seem a bit jingotastic…and increasingly racist.

6. mpg44 - Oct 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Bye …. Don’t forget your box of tissues on the way out !!

7. delsj - Oct 19, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Going to Europe is a waste for someone like Crosby. The guys that need the cash or who are returning to their homelands – OK, but what purpose does it serve for Crosby? He & the other North American stars need to stay put and attend every meeting until the lockout is settled (or the season is cancelled).

• id4joey - Oct 19, 2012 at 3:53 PM

He’s a hockey player, and like others he thrives on competition. Beside injuries, when is the last time Sid has not been playing hockey heading into Nov? Probably not since he was 9 or 10 years old.

8. dexterismyhero - Oct 19, 2012 at 3:30 PM

What is this hockey you keep talking about……

9. broadstreetbeatdown - Oct 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Who gives a Fu*k. Go take your crying and bellyaching to Europe fancy pants. maybe Europeans will also get to see you for the thong that you are.

10. id4joey - Oct 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Yeah! Claudine Giroux is still be nursed by his mother. He’ll come out when his wrists are healed and they remove his pacifier.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Oct 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I love how the Crysby Clones try to make G out to be a crybaby like Cindy. It really is comical. Joey go back to masturbating over Cindy mmmkay?

11. bubblehead22 - Oct 19, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Glad to see all the filthy-delphia fans are still out there hating and wow! CG won a playoff series, impressive. Is his wrist still “broken”? D-bags

• broadstreetbeatdown - Oct 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Winning is one thing. Dominating is another. Thanks for playing skirt boy!!

12. id4joey - Oct 19, 2012 at 10:12 PM

broadstreetbeatdown, you crack me up. Why resort belittling someone because they don’t agree with your view? Lack of education perhaps? Do tell. Truth be told, I would take Giroux on my team any time, as I would Crosby. Yeah! Crosby does have a tendency to act like a punk, and yeah, he does give lip service to the refs a little too much. But! Man what a fricken talent. AMAZING. Say it! The guy is fricken good! C’mon. Be objective.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Oct 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Joey, my post has nothing to do with Sid’s hockey skills it has to do with his incessant whining.

13. id4joey - Oct 19, 2012 at 11:23 PM

broadstreetbeatdown, ok. Fair enough. But why the comment about ‘madturbating over Cindy’?

• broadstreetbeatdown - Oct 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Joey, thats cause most Crosby fans do lol. However I concede your point it may have been a tad overboard. Hmmm common ground between Pit and Philly fans, who’d a “thunk” it?

• id4joey - Oct 20, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Hahahaha! To be honest, I’m no more a Crosby or Pens fan than I am a Giroux or Flyers fan. Matter of fact I’m not a fan of a particular team. Much more of a huge hockey fan than anything else. Giroux is one of the best players in the league, and he as the clout to wear the C, and lead his team to the SC, and when he does I hope it will be with the Flyers. He was a great first round pick for the Flyers in 06. Look at the names drafted before him.

I try to pick the 2 best games on any given night and watch them both. The talent displayed by the 2 aforementioned players, to name a few, is absolutely awesome. Sarcasm alert… I don’t masturbate to either one. Hahaha! Hope the season starts soon so we can turn to dissecting games regardless of partisanship.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches