Oct 18, 2012, 9:09 PM EDT
Minnesota’s Zach Parise has been pretty vocal when it comes to calling out the owners as the lockout rages on. He’s sounded off before, but after seeing the NHL reject the players’ union’s three proposals this afternoon, he’s got his dander up again.
Parise tells Michael Russo of The Star-Tribune he’s upset about how the owners conducted business this summer with a lockout on the horizon they knew they’d put into effect and Wild owner Craig Leipold sort of gets called out.
“You have all these owners signing big deals minutes before the CBA expires and then going the next day, ‘We don’t want to pay these contracts,'” Parise said. “Maybe that’s how they conduct business. That just doesn’t seem right. What if us players signed a deal and said, ‘You know what, I actually want 15 percent more?'”
Russo asked Parise if he was, indeed, calling out Leipold and he wisely said he wasn’t “pointing fingers” at anyone. Hmm.
Leipold, of course, signed Parise and Ryan Suter to identical 13-year, $98 million contracts this summer. Meanwhile, Leipold is one of the owners leading negotiations for their side, precisely one of the owners Parise would be calling out if he were assessing blame.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)