Oct 18, 2012, 3:35 PM EST
Oilers owner Daryl Katz has released a statement addressing Wednesday’s decision by Edmonton city council to cease negotiations with the club on the construction of a new downtown arena.
“We are concerned about the implications of the motion passed yesterday by City Council,” said Katz. “We do not yet have a view on what comes next, but we remain hopeful that there is a solution that achieves the mutual goal of securing the Oilers’ long-term sustainability in Edmonton.”
Negotiations officially fell apart Wednesday when city council, led by mayor Stephen Mandel, voted to walk away from the original $475-million deal – a deal that Katz had hoped to modify by adding a $6 million annual operating subsidy from the city to the Oilers.
“I’m not saying we should say no to Mr. Katz,” Mandel said, “but all the information that I’ve had an opportunity to see does not justify council giving him another six million dollars a year.”
Mandel also expressed frustration that Katz has been unwilling to meet with city council in public to justify his request.
“We need to send a message that you got a fair deal and stand up to that fair deal or show us why it isn’t a fair deal,” said Mandel.
“And I can tell you he has not shown us.”
For what it’s worth, we still say there’s practically no chance this ends with the Oilers moving out of Edmonton. They’ll figure something out before it gets to that.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)