Nov. 2 hypothetical schedule: Who might start strong

Oct 18, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Kings Stanley Cup Victory Parade Getty Images

Gary Bettman shared his hopes of preserving an 82-game season on Tuesday, revealing that such a thing could happen if it all began on Nov. 2.

While it’s important to note that a final schedule would likely present some tweaks to the current plans, PHT probed existing ones to see which teams might get off to great (or rough) starts.

Let’s start off with a few teams who could enjoy early gains

Anaheim Ducks

The immediate start isn’t too promising with back-to-back road games against playoff teams (Philadelphia, then Ottawa). Still, the streaky Ducks could take advantage of a six-game homestand before the pendulum swings the other way.

Detroit Red Wings

What would have been a four-game road trip is whittled down to just one away game (and the start of a home-and-home series) with the Edmonton Oilers. Including hosting the Oilers, the Red Wings will then enjoy a five-game home stand and seven of eight games at Joe Louis Arena.

(Not a bad way to start the post-Lidstrom era.)

Los Angeles Kings

The defending champs can raise the Stanley Cup banner during a three-game home opening run while their overall start includes seven out of ten games at the Staples Center. It gets a little rocky to end the month, but maybe their “hangover” will be gone by then.

Philadelphia Flyers

After alternating home and road games, the Flyers play five of six in Philly. Only one of those teams (Ottawa) made the playoffs last season, although Minnesota did make big off-season changes. They do finish the month with the first three games of a five-game road trip, so they must seize an early opportunity to collect wins.

Washington Capitals

They begin the season with four of their first five games at home, play one more road game and then get three straight contests at the Phone Booth. That’s a friendly start for first-time head coach Adam Oates.

1. blomfeld - Oct 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM

EASIER THAN SHOOTING FISH IN A BARREL !

The answer to your question “who might start strong?” is provided by your own inset picture … why the LOS ANGELES KINGS of course ! Look, for things like this you always refer to the most recent evidence available. And for that, you need to look no further than the last NHL game to be played, which you’ll recall was on June 11th of this year … you remember, that “lil ol” King’s 6-1 thumping of the East’s so-called best ! :) In all seriousness though, Bettman’s successful bid to remove October from the schedule, has now actually served to make us Kings even stronger than was the case already. “We” more than anybody needed “time” this year. Not so much to rest and repair, but more so to get over the inevitable “blahs” which always follow in the wake of incredible emotional “highs” like we experienced this past June. The bottom line is that the King’s juggernaut is going to pick up right where it left off last year. “Our’s” is a dynasty of “multiple” successive championships and it all starts again in about two week’s time. GO KINGS GO !!!!!!!!!!!! :)

ps: for the record, the other teams listed above are essentially nothing more than “flotsam” for lack of a better expression … and that’s so, notwithstanding the fact that the Flyers likely “mean well” ?

2. ron05342 - Oct 18, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Total exercise in futility.

Fehr is going to drive this lockout as long as he can, so he can remain (in his eyes) relevant.

No way the season starts on November 2.

• blomfeld - Oct 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Ron – I originally called for the season to start by the third week in November and I’m still sticking to that, despite the developments of the past 24 hours. Yes, Fehr is indeed an idiot, however I believe that he’s merely an actor reading from a prepared script. The “soon to be announced” agreement was probably drawn up some time ago and so right now it’s more a question of timing. And no, I’m not crazy … that’s what I sincerely believe.

3. proudliberal85392 - Oct 18, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I rarely agree with you, blomfeld, but I love you, man. You feel about your Kings, the way I feel about my Yotes. You show the rest of the world we do love hockey out here in the West. Keep it up!

4. proudliberal85392 - Oct 18, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Incidentally, blomfeld, I think you may be right here. Hockey by Thanksgiving.

• blomfeld - Oct 18, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Person A: who is this “proudliberal85392″ guy ?

Person B: I’m not sure friend, though it’s safe to say that he must be “good” people …

Hey man, thanks for your kind words ! Anyway, we’ve gotta have some fun around here, right ? :) Seriously though, I do believe that we’re going to get our game back shortly, probably by the 2nd or 3rd week in November. Now a lot of people have said that I’m “nuts” with regards to my suggestion that this impasse is nothing more than a “contrived” delay to the start of the year. Well to hell with them I say, as they were saying the same thing about me this spring, when I said that our LA Kings were destined to win the Stanley Cup ! Now on another note, it’s positively hilarious how these Easterners think they’re “all that” and that we in the west are a joke, eh ? … because further from the truth you couldn’t get ! The simple fact of the matter is that the “balance of power” today lies squarely in the Western Conference. The only thing the East has over us in the West is more media coverage. Other than that, they’re a completely “inferior” conference in literally every conceivable way. And one more thing … I’ll level with you by admitting that you Coyotes were the only team we Kings really feared in last year’s playoffs !

*** Special video selection for the Phoenix Coyotes ***

“hang in there friends, you guys are gonna make it” …

5. id4joey - Oct 18, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Guys, help me understand the importance of defining which conference is stronger? Do you somehow find comfort in the fact that you live in the same geographical location as the ‘supposed’ strongest conference? I really thought PHT would provide more substance in terms of hockey talk, rather than all the pity discussions. Yikes! I too am falling into the vortex of totally irrelevant discussion. Elvis, bloodlines, Frenchie, etc etc who cares about your bloodlines. Puke! blomfeld out…..

• blomfeld - Oct 18, 2012 at 6:32 PM

“a vortex of totally irrelevant discussion” ? …

Au contraire my friend ! What we have here is an excellent discourse of NHL information, sprinkled with a delightful flavoring of music, history and geopolitics. And kid yourself not, as you need to look no further than the main article here this afternoon, to find a “vortex of totally irrelevant discussion”. Talk about blind sheep blindly following the blind shepherd ! Anyway, the business of having pride in our Western Conference “based” teams is very important for many of us. You Easterners get all the media coverage and attention. In fact, about the only time you people take notice of us, is when it’s time for your annual “butt-kicking” in the Stanley Cup final ! :)

• id4joey - Oct 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Hahaha! Butt kicking! :) East vs West! From a hockey fan it bothers me very little which conference is better that the other. It’s all about a good hockey game. L.A. vs Canuck! Wild and fun to watch. Flyers vs Pens, Hawks vs Wings, Oilers vs Flames, Avs vs Wings, Bruins vs Canadians, all wild and highly entertaining. Don’t give a hoot where I live to enjoy a good hockey. Now, that being said, and after living in the Southwest for the last 12 years, I can tell you that getting hockey news on the radio there is more difficult than finder water in the middle of the Sahara. Nothing compared to the media frenzy on the east coast. Is it good or bad? It’s just different. Great rivalries equates to awesome hockey be it east, west, north or south.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches