Oct 18, 2012, 3:33 PM EDT
Taylor Hall is officially locked out.
But for the Edmonton Oilers’ prized youngster, that’s a good thing.
Hall — the only Oiler that’s been collecting a paycheck this season — has received the medical go-ahead on his injured shoulder and been cleared for contact. That means he’s set to join AHL Oklahoma City and start collecting his AHL salary ($67,500, a far cry from the $900,000 he was making at the NHL level.)
No worries though, says Hall. He’s excited to be in OKC.
“I know all the guys like it here. The dressing room is good. The arena is good. They say it’s a good environment to play,” he told the Edmonton Sun. “I’m preparing like I’m going to start my season playing here and I’m good with that.”
One interesting thing to note is that Hall and Jordan Eberle have leased an apartment in Oklahoma City for just two months. That’s a far cry from instructions the Blue Jackets and Devils gave to their AHL-bound youngsters, suggesting they secure housing for the year in Albany and Springfield, respectively.
“Jordan and I have leased a condo here for two months which is a 10-minute walk to the rink,” he explained. ““Until they give us plane tickets for Edmonton, we’re here to work hard and play for Oklahoma City.”
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)