Oct 18, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
NHLPA boss Donald Fehr addressed the media following a brief meeting with the NHL, and left those in attendance with a pessimistic message:
Thursday wasn’t a good day.
Flanked by Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby and Chicago Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews, Fehr spoke about a players’ union that appears to have lingering issues — and a lot of resentment — stemming from the last collective bargaining agreement.
Among the highlights (if you can call them that) of Fehr’s address:
— Players are still upset about what they lost during the 2004-05 lockout, and aren’t prepared to lose the things they gained.
— The union wants all contracts honored. Fehr made specific mention of the ones “signed within the last few months,” likely referring to the flurry of deals inked just prior to the Sept. 15 CBA expiration.
— Fehr claimed the NHL has failed to explain or justify why it wants a “better” deal than its previous one, other than the fact NBA and NFL owners received one.
— In terms of negotiations, the union was told the NHL would only “tweak” its last offer. Ergo, the NHLPA bringing three separate proposals to the table didn’t fit within the owner’s framework for bargaining.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)