Oct 18, 2012, 5:20 PM EST
NHLPA boss Donald Fehr addressed the media following a brief meeting with the NHL, and left those in attendance with a pessimistic message:
Thursday wasn’t a good day.
Flanked by Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby and Chicago Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews, Fehr spoke about a players’ union that appears to have lingering issues — and a lot of resentment — stemming from the last collective bargaining agreement.
Among the highlights (if you can call them that) of Fehr’s address:
— Players are still upset about what they lost during the 2004-05 lockout, and aren’t prepared to lose the things they gained.
— The union wants all contracts honored. Fehr made specific mention of the ones “signed within the last few months,” likely referring to the flurry of deals inked just prior to the Sept. 15 CBA expiration.
— Fehr claimed the NHL has failed to explain or justify why it wants a “better” deal than its previous one, other than the fact NBA and NFL owners received one.
— In terms of negotiations, the union was told the NHL would only “tweak” its last offer. Ergo, the NHLPA bringing three separate proposals to the table didn’t fit within the owner’s framework for bargaining.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 14
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 32
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)