Oct 18, 2012, 6:45 PM EST
We’ve heard from NHLPA head Donald Fehr about how their NHL-rejected counter-proposal calls for a 50-50 split in revenue. Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly has some problems with that assessment of their offer.
In a statement issued to the press, Daly says the players’ union offer isn’t all that it appears to be.
“The so called 50-50 deal, plus honoring current contracts proposed by the NHL Players’ Association earlier today is being misrepresented. It is not a 50-50 deal. It is, most likely a 56-to 57-percent deal in Year One and never gets to 50 percent during the proposed five-year term of the agreement. The proposal contemplates paying the Players approximately $650 million outside of the Players’ Share. In effect, the Union is proposing to change the accounting rules to be able to say ’50-50,’ when in reality it is not. The Union told us that they had not yet ‘run the numbers.’ We did.”
Safe to say this is as polite as discourse can be when essentially saying the players’ didn’t do their homework. The NHL certainly broke down the mathematics of the players’ offer in a short time though, 10 minutes by Sidney Crosby‘s count.
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 4
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 10
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)