Oct 17, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
One of the NHL’s few German players has decided to play at home for the next while, as Buffalo defenseman Alexander Sulzer has agreed to join DEL squad ERC Inglostadt on a lockout deal.
The news was reported on Inglostadt’s website Wednesday morning — interesting timing given all that transpired on Tuesday with NHL-NHLPA negotiations.
Sulzer, 28, came to Buffalo late in the 2011-12 season as part of the Cody Hodgson-Zack Kassian trade and flourished on a Sabres blueline decimated by injury.
He had 3G-5A-8PTS in 15 games with a plus-2 rating, and the Sabres went 10-3-2 with him in the lineup.
Shortly after the season was done, Buffalo inked Sulzer to a one-year, $750,000 deal — suggesting that, after struggling to stick in the NHL for his first five years in North America, he was going to be a top-six guy.
Sulzer is a veteran of the German league, having played for Kaufbeuren, Hamburg and the DEG Metro Stars prior to joining the Predators organization in 2007.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)