Oct 17, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
One of the NHL’s few German players has decided to play at home for the next while, as Buffalo defenseman Alexander Sulzer has agreed to join DEL squad ERC Inglostadt on a lockout deal.
The news was reported on Inglostadt’s website Wednesday morning — interesting timing given all that transpired on Tuesday with NHL-NHLPA negotiations.
Sulzer, 28, came to Buffalo late in the 2011-12 season as part of the Cody Hodgson-Zack Kassian trade and flourished on a Sabres blueline decimated by injury.
He had 3G-5A-8PTS in 15 games with a plus-2 rating, and the Sabres went 10-3-2 with him in the lineup.
Shortly after the season was done, Buffalo inked Sulzer to a one-year, $750,000 deal — suggesting that, after struggling to stick in the NHL for his first five years in North America, he was going to be a top-six guy.
Sulzer is a veteran of the German league, having played for Kaufbeuren, Hamburg and the DEG Metro Stars prior to joining the Predators organization in 2007.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 16
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)