Oct 17, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
- Under the 50-50 revenue split plan, the new salary cap ceiling would be $59.9 million, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. As he noted on Tuesday, teams can still go up to $70.2 million because of the transition plan, though.
- Meanwhile, the salary cap floor would be $43.9 million according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
- McKenzie also illuminated the process of trading salary cap space or retaining salary. The limit would be $3 million for each contract year remaining or 50 percent of the average annual value – whichever number is lower. Each club would be limited to two contracts and/or $5 million in a given year.
- TSN’s Darren Dreger expanded on the owners’ proposals regarding revenue sharing. The league’s 10 highest earners would contribute 50 percent of the pool while a committee (with NHLPA representation) would determine the pool each season.
- Players “buried” in the minors count against the cap so there wouldn’t be re-entry waivers any longer, according to McKenzie.
- In what might be a nod to the NFL’s “bounty” troubles, NHL owners propose changes to the supplemental discipline appeals process; players would be able to seek a “neutral” third-party arbitrator, Dreger reports.
OK, that wave of information (and the links below) should catch you up to speed on the owners’ big new offer. Players hope to clarify a number of issues today, so stay tuned.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)