Oct 17, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
- Under the 50-50 revenue split plan, the new salary cap ceiling would be $59.9 million, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. As he noted on Tuesday, teams can still go up to $70.2 million because of the transition plan, though.
- Meanwhile, the salary cap floor would be $43.9 million according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
- McKenzie also illuminated the process of trading salary cap space or retaining salary. The limit would be $3 million for each contract year remaining or 50 percent of the average annual value – whichever number is lower. Each club would be limited to two contracts and/or $5 million in a given year.
- TSN’s Darren Dreger expanded on the owners’ proposals regarding revenue sharing. The league’s 10 highest earners would contribute 50 percent of the pool while a committee (with NHLPA representation) would determine the pool each season.
- Players “buried” in the minors count against the cap so there wouldn’t be re-entry waivers any longer, according to McKenzie.
- In what might be a nod to the NFL’s “bounty” troubles, NHL owners propose changes to the supplemental discipline appeals process; players would be able to seek a “neutral” third-party arbitrator, Dreger reports.
OK, that wave of information (and the links below) should catch you up to speed on the owners’ big new offer. Players hope to clarify a number of issues today, so stay tuned.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)