Oct 17, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
- Under the 50-50 revenue split plan, the new salary cap ceiling would be $59.9 million, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. As he noted on Tuesday, teams can still go up to $70.2 million because of the transition plan, though.
- Meanwhile, the salary cap floor would be $43.9 million according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
- McKenzie also illuminated the process of trading salary cap space or retaining salary. The limit would be $3 million for each contract year remaining or 50 percent of the average annual value – whichever number is lower. Each club would be limited to two contracts and/or $5 million in a given year.
- TSN’s Darren Dreger expanded on the owners’ proposals regarding revenue sharing. The league’s 10 highest earners would contribute 50 percent of the pool while a committee (with NHLPA representation) would determine the pool each season.
- Players “buried” in the minors count against the cap so there wouldn’t be re-entry waivers any longer, according to McKenzie.
- In what might be a nod to the NFL’s “bounty” troubles, NHL owners propose changes to the supplemental discipline appeals process; players would be able to seek a “neutral” third-party arbitrator, Dreger reports.
OK, that wave of information (and the links below) should catch you up to speed on the owners’ big new offer. Players hope to clarify a number of issues today, so stay tuned.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games