Oct 17, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
- Under the 50-50 revenue split plan, the new salary cap ceiling would be $59.9 million, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. As he noted on Tuesday, teams can still go up to $70.2 million because of the transition plan, though.
- Meanwhile, the salary cap floor would be $43.9 million according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
- McKenzie also illuminated the process of trading salary cap space or retaining salary. The limit would be $3 million for each contract year remaining or 50 percent of the average annual value – whichever number is lower. Each club would be limited to two contracts and/or $5 million in a given year.
- TSN’s Darren Dreger expanded on the owners’ proposals regarding revenue sharing. The league’s 10 highest earners would contribute 50 percent of the pool while a committee (with NHLPA representation) would determine the pool each season.
- Players “buried” in the minors count against the cap so there wouldn’t be re-entry waivers any longer, according to McKenzie.
- In what might be a nod to the NFL’s “bounty” troubles, NHL owners propose changes to the supplemental discipline appeals process; players would be able to seek a “neutral” third-party arbitrator, Dreger reports.
OK, that wave of information (and the links below) should catch you up to speed on the owners’ big new offer. Players hope to clarify a number of issues today, so stay tuned.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 53
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)