Oct 17, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
- Under the 50-50 revenue split plan, the new salary cap ceiling would be $59.9 million, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. As he noted on Tuesday, teams can still go up to $70.2 million because of the transition plan, though.
- Meanwhile, the salary cap floor would be $43.9 million according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
- McKenzie also illuminated the process of trading salary cap space or retaining salary. The limit would be $3 million for each contract year remaining or 50 percent of the average annual value – whichever number is lower. Each club would be limited to two contracts and/or $5 million in a given year.
- TSN’s Darren Dreger expanded on the owners’ proposals regarding revenue sharing. The league’s 10 highest earners would contribute 50 percent of the pool while a committee (with NHLPA representation) would determine the pool each season.
- Players “buried” in the minors count against the cap so there wouldn’t be re-entry waivers any longer, according to McKenzie.
- In what might be a nod to the NFL’s “bounty” troubles, NHL owners propose changes to the supplemental discipline appeals process; players would be able to seek a “neutral” third-party arbitrator, Dreger reports.
OK, that wave of information (and the links below) should catch you up to speed on the owners’ big new offer. Players hope to clarify a number of issues today, so stay tuned.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)