Oct 16, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT
From the “breaking new ground” file comes this: According to multiple reports (see here and here), Ottawa Senators forward Erik Condra has agreed to join EV Fussen of the Oberliga — the third tier of German hockey.
Fussen is a former powerhouse, having won 16 German championships and a pair of Spengler Cups. But the club has struggled in recent years to retain much of its top talent and, as a result, is now comprised of mostly young, inexperienced players (over half the Fussen roster was born after 1990.)
Condra, 26, is a huge get for the club. He posted career-highs across the board in 2011-12, appearing in all of Ottawa’s 82 games while notching 8G-17A-29PTS, finishing dead even with Jason Spezza with a plus-11 rating.
Condra also appeared in all seven of the Senators’ opening-round playoff games against the Rangers, averaging over 11 minutes per game while scoring his first-ever postseason goal.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)