Oct 16, 2012, 12:37 PM EST
From the “breaking new ground” file comes this: According to multiple reports (see here and here), Ottawa Senators forward Erik Condra has agreed to join EV Fussen of the Oberliga — the third tier of German hockey.
Fussen is a former powerhouse, having won 16 German championships and a pair of Spengler Cups. But the club has struggled in recent years to retain much of its top talent and, as a result, is now comprised of mostly young, inexperienced players (over half the Fussen roster was born after 1990.)
Condra, 26, is a huge get for the club. He posted career-highs across the board in 2011-12, appearing in all of Ottawa’s 82 games while notching 8G-17A-29PTS, finishing dead even with Jason Spezza with a plus-11 rating.
Condra also appeared in all seven of the Senators’ opening-round playoff games against the Rangers, averaging over 11 minutes per game while scoring his first-ever postseason goal.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)