Oct 16, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT
From the “breaking new ground” file comes this: According to multiple reports (see here and here), Ottawa Senators forward Erik Condra has agreed to join EV Fussen of the Oberliga — the third tier of German hockey.
Fussen is a former powerhouse, having won 16 German championships and a pair of Spengler Cups. But the club has struggled in recent years to retain much of its top talent and, as a result, is now comprised of mostly young, inexperienced players (over half the Fussen roster was born after 1990.)
Condra, 26, is a huge get for the club. He posted career-highs across the board in 2011-12, appearing in all of Ottawa’s 82 games while notching 8G-17A-29PTS, finishing dead even with Jason Spezza with a plus-11 rating.
Condra also appeared in all seven of the Senators’ opening-round playoff games against the Rangers, averaging over 11 minutes per game while scoring his first-ever postseason goal.
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 4
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)