Oct 16, 2012, 12:37 PM EST
From the “breaking new ground” file comes this: According to multiple reports (see here and here), Ottawa Senators forward Erik Condra has agreed to join EV Fussen of the Oberliga — the third tier of German hockey.
Fussen is a former powerhouse, having won 16 German championships and a pair of Spengler Cups. But the club has struggled in recent years to retain much of its top talent and, as a result, is now comprised of mostly young, inexperienced players (over half the Fussen roster was born after 1990.)
Condra, 26, is a huge get for the club. He posted career-highs across the board in 2011-12, appearing in all of Ottawa’s 82 games while notching 8G-17A-29PTS, finishing dead even with Jason Spezza with a plus-11 rating.
Condra also appeared in all seven of the Senators’ opening-round playoff games against the Rangers, averaging over 11 minutes per game while scoring his first-ever postseason goal.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 36
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)