Oct 16, 2012, 11:25 PM EDT
Players haven’t been shy about slamming owners during the lockout, but many expressed guarded optimism regarding the latest proposal from Gary Bettman & Co.
“This gets the ball rolling,” Tanguay said. “That’s what we were talking about. We were hoping something would come out – whether it was on their side or our side.”
His teammate Jarome Iginla called it a “big move.”
“Glad they’re talking big issues and seems like it may be a point to which we finally get serious. But who knows,” Shelley said.
An anonymous player admitted that he isn’t sure Nov. 2 is a “realist date” to start the season, according to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty.
Even so, the tone is much-improved from just a day ago, when players such as Shawn Horcoff were slamming the NHL’s stance while pointedly referring to Gary Bettman by his first name.
We’ll see if Thursday’s meetings create more positivity or send things back to the ugly, spin-heavy zone.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 5
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 8
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 57
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination