Oct 16, 2012, 11:25 PM EDT
Players haven’t been shy about slamming owners during the lockout, but many expressed guarded optimism regarding the latest proposal from Gary Bettman & Co.
“This gets the ball rolling,” Tanguay said. “That’s what we were talking about. We were hoping something would come out – whether it was on their side or our side.”
His teammate Jarome Iginla called it a “big move.”
“Glad they’re talking big issues and seems like it may be a point to which we finally get serious. But who knows,” Shelley said.
An anonymous player admitted that he isn’t sure Nov. 2 is a “realist date” to start the season, according to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty.
Even so, the tone is much-improved from just a day ago, when players such as Shawn Horcoff were slamming the NHL’s stance while pointedly referring to Gary Bettman by his first name.
We’ll see if Thursday’s meetings create more positivity or send things back to the ugly, spin-heavy zone.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)