Oct 16, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League announced its roster for the 2012 Subway Series vs. Team Russia on Monday and, to nobody’s surprise, Jonathan Huberdeau has made the cut.
Florida’s prized prospect — taken third overall at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft — has gotten off to a tremendous start with the Saint John Sea Dogs, posting 15 points in his first 10 games.
The skillful left winger has participated in each of the last two Subway Series, including the 2010 event that saw him skate alongside Philadelphia Flyers forward Sean Couturier.
Huberdeau is expected to join the Florida lineup once the NHL season gets underway.
As for the other big name in the Subway Series? That’s Nathan McKinnon, the Halifax Mooseheads forward pegged by many to be the No. 1 overall selection at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
MacKinnon, 17, is from the same province (Nova Scotia) as Sidney Crosby and has drawn many comparisons thanks in large part to his scoring prowess. He has 17 points in his first 10 games of the season and is coming off a rookie QMJHL campaign that saw him net 31G-47A-78PTS in 58 regular season games.
For the full QMJHL roster for the Subway Series, click here.
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 2
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 55
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 40
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 12
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 45
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)