Oct 16, 2012, 8:01 PM EST
Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz issued a lengthy letter explaining why he won’t show up for an Oct. 17 city council meeting regarding the team’s fledgling new arena deal.
Katz believes the two sides “remain far apart both on substance and process.”
“I fear the City has approached this negotiation based on narrow political considerations rather than a genuine desire to strike a deal that is fair and makes economic sense for both sides,” Katz wrote.
One might say that the team and city are now farther apart than the NHL and NHLPA are in CBA negotiations, which would be a timely comment since Katz finished the letter by recommending an intervention by Gary Bettman.
“I also want to remind you of Commissioner Bettman’s offer to come to Edmonton to help forge a deal,” Katz wrote.
Katz stated that he’s sorry for taking Oilers fans for granted, but it’s clear that hasn’t softened the way he works with Edmonton city officials.
(One might even note that Seattle’s revised arena plan was approved yesterday.)
Either way, it seems like the two sides might be in for a protracted battle, which could remind Oilers fans of another politically-charged hockey haggling session.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)