Oct 16, 2012, 8:01 PM EDT
Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz issued a lengthy letter explaining why he won’t show up for an Oct. 17 city council meeting regarding the team’s fledgling new arena deal.
Katz believes the two sides “remain far apart both on substance and process.”
“I fear the City has approached this negotiation based on narrow political considerations rather than a genuine desire to strike a deal that is fair and makes economic sense for both sides,” Katz wrote.
One might say that the team and city are now farther apart than the NHL and NHLPA are in CBA negotiations, which would be a timely comment since Katz finished the letter by recommending an intervention by Gary Bettman.
“I also want to remind you of Commissioner Bettman’s offer to come to Edmonton to help forge a deal,” Katz wrote.
Katz stated that he’s sorry for taking Oilers fans for granted, but it’s clear that hasn’t softened the way he works with Edmonton city officials.
(One might even note that Seattle’s revised arena plan was approved yesterday.)
Either way, it seems like the two sides might be in for a protracted battle, which could remind Oilers fans of another politically-charged hockey haggling session.
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 10
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 18
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 29
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)