Oct 16, 2012, 10:50 PM EST
The NHL shot down rumors about the league adding two expansions teams – one in Toronto, the other in Quebec – according to Jason Kay of the Hockey News.
Kay originally said that there was “strong speculation” the NHL might announce that Canadian expansion once a new CBA was settled last Thursday.
It’s unclear what the exact origin of that “strong speculation” was.
That being said, one logical reason for expansion comes to mind: conference realignment. Perhaps two extra teams could alter the (currently unapproved) setup from two seven-team and two eight-team conferences to four eight-team groups?
Either way, it’s a moot point right now, as the NHL said “No” to the scuttlebutt.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)