Oct 16, 2012, 12:49 PM EST
Anaheim Ducks forward Nick Bonino has agreed to join Italian second division team Hockeyclub Neumarkt-Riwega, according to the team website. The move is believed to make Bonino the first locked-out NHLer to join the Italian hockey federation.
Much like the earlier Erik Condra-to-EV Fussen deal, this is a huge get for the European club. The Italian second division is — how should we put this — hardly a glamorous circuit, and Bonino is fresh off a breakout campaign with the Ducks.
The 24-year-old emerged as a legit regular in the Anaheim lineup last season, posting 5G-13A-18PTS in just 50 games (he also scored 22 points in 19 games for AHL Syracuse.) Following the year, Bonino and the Ducks managed to avoid arbitration by agreeing to a two-year, one-way deal worth $1.4 million.
A former standout at Boston University, Bonino expects to challenge for a full time job in Anaheim’s bottom-six when (or, if) the NHL starts back up.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 82
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)