Oct 16, 2012, 12:49 PM EST
Anaheim Ducks forward Nick Bonino has agreed to join Italian second division team Hockeyclub Neumarkt-Riwega, according to the team website. The move is believed to make Bonino the first locked-out NHLer to join the Italian hockey federation.
Much like the earlier Erik Condra-to-EV Fussen deal, this is a huge get for the European club. The Italian second division is — how should we put this — hardly a glamorous circuit, and Bonino is fresh off a breakout campaign with the Ducks.
The 24-year-old emerged as a legit regular in the Anaheim lineup last season, posting 5G-13A-18PTS in just 50 games (he also scored 22 points in 19 games for AHL Syracuse.) Following the year, Bonino and the Ducks managed to avoid arbitration by agreeing to a two-year, one-way deal worth $1.4 million.
A former standout at Boston University, Bonino expects to challenge for a full time job in Anaheim’s bottom-six when (or, if) the NHL starts back up.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 9
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 40
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)