Oct 16, 2012, 12:49 PM EST
Anaheim Ducks forward Nick Bonino has agreed to join Italian second division team Hockeyclub Neumarkt-Riwega, according to the team website. The move is believed to make Bonino the first locked-out NHLer to join the Italian hockey federation.
Much like the earlier Erik Condra-to-EV Fussen deal, this is a huge get for the European club. The Italian second division is — how should we put this — hardly a glamorous circuit, and Bonino is fresh off a breakout campaign with the Ducks.
The 24-year-old emerged as a legit regular in the Anaheim lineup last season, posting 5G-13A-18PTS in just 50 games (he also scored 22 points in 19 games for AHL Syracuse.) Following the year, Bonino and the Ducks managed to avoid arbitration by agreeing to a two-year, one-way deal worth $1.4 million.
A former standout at Boston University, Bonino expects to challenge for a full time job in Anaheim’s bottom-six when (or, if) the NHL starts back up.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)