Oct 15, 2012, 2:02 PM EST
In addition to their hockey careers, the two are veteran Alberta ranchers (Sutter tends to the family farm in Sylvan Lake, Glencross in Penhold) that deal extensively in the livestock trade.
Both had plenty to lose with a recent oubreak of E. coli that resulted in the largest beef recall in Canadian history but, according to Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun, the pair made out okay.
“I sold all my calves four days before they shut the plant down in Brooks,” said Sutter, who runs a calving operation at his family homestead that has 450 head of cattle.
“That night (the beef scare hit), calves dropped 10 cents per pound. I was lucky.”
Sutter has returned to his general managing duties with the Red Deer Rebels, which he owns — a team off to a slow start despite featuring hotshot Calgary blueliner Mathew Dumba, seventh overall pick of the Minnesota Wild, this summer.
Fellow ranch-hand Curtis Glencross also managed to sell the bulk of his 220 head of cattle in Penhold before the real trouble hit.
In case you’re wondering — no, not everybody in Alberta is involved in the cattle trade. Some deal in horses.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 49
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)