Oct 15, 2012, 4:03 PM EDT
There were some nervous moments over the weekend when Buffalo prospect Corey Tropp suffered a knee injury playing for AHL Rochester.
Today, Americans head coach Ron Rolston confirmed the worst — Tropp will miss the rest of the year after tearing both his MCL and ACL.
It’s a tough loss for both the Sabres and Amerks, who had placed Tropp on a line with two other prized youngsters — Cody Hodgson and Luke Adam — to kick off the AHL campaign.
Tropp responded by scoring two goals in the opening 15 minutes before Crunch defenseman Radko Gudas caught him with a hit along the wall, injuring the knee.
A third-round pick (87th overall) at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Tropp made his NHL debut with the Sabres last season by appearing in 34 contests while posting 3G-5A-8PTS, garnering a fair bit of attention after this scrap with Philly’s Zac Rinaldo:
The cruel twist is Tropp was only in the AHL because of the lockout. He was expected to be a full-time NHLer this season, playing in the Sabres’ bottom-six.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)