Oct 15, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Defenseman John-Michael Liles announced that he’ll be the latest locked-out NHL player to give coaching a try.
The scoring blueliner revealed that he’ll be a bench boss for a prep high school team in Culver, Indiana via Twitter today.
(This is about the time when Liles’ critics might make a crack about learning how to play defense. Get it out of the way now if needed.)
Liles played for Culver way back in 1995-96 and 96-97, according to this Legends of Hockey bio.
The defenseman is the latest in a growing line of skaters who will kill time by getting a different vantage point of the game. R.J. Umberger and Ryan O’Byrne are also going to help teams in a similar capacity during the work stoppage.
While it’s not the same as staying in game shape, these players are staying involved with the sport (and maybe even planting seeds for what life will be like after their NHL days are over).
This measure might also reduce the odds of injury compared to playing at the professional level, although experiences such as Lindy Ruff’s indicate that there may still be some risk involved.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)