Oct 15, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
Good riddance, says Guy LaFleur. Those players that want to stay in Europe instead of returning to the NHL when the lockout ends should be free do just that.
“Let them stay there, it will make more room for players from Quebec and North Americans,” LaFleur said last week at a press conference in his hometown of Thurso, Quebec.
He added: “As a supporter and former player, I do not care for players who want to stay in Europe. It’s their choice.”
Meanwhile, Philadelphia’s Ilya Bryzgalov thinks the KHL could become the preferred league for Russians.
“I think some of the players may not return to the NHL because you have everything here and major companies are going to pay the top players here big money. And, especially for Russians players who can play at home in front of their own fans and families and [earn] even bigger money than they have in the National Hockey League,” said Bryzgalov.
Whether players currently under contract to NHL clubs could actually follow through on that threat is another thing.
Regardless, LaFleur doesn’t sound too sympathetic for the plight of the NHLPA.
“The players are very fortunate to have the opportunity to play and make millions of dollars,” he said. “I’m happy for them, but on the other hand, they must realize something else: As athletes, they cannot earn more than the owners.”
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)