Oct 15, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT
For all the talk the NHL and NHLPA have engaged in since the CBA expired a month ago on Sept. 15, not one side has submitted a new proposal for the other to consider.
Will this be the week we see some concrete movement on the core economic issues? The two sides are set to meet Tuesday in Toronto, so it’s possible. The “Big Four” — Gary Bettman, Bill Daly, Donald Fehr and Steve Fehr — will reportedly be in attendance.
The last proposal — from the the league, on Sept. 12 — called for players to receive 49 percent of hockey-related revenue in Year 1 of the agreement, 48 percent in Year 2, and 47 percent in the remaining four years.
The players, having just earned 57 percent of the revenue under the last CBA, were predictably unimpressed. In fact, any scenario that results in less money going to the players in Year 1 of the agreement, they’ve said they won’t accept.
Thus the main sticking point of the disagreement, since the owners want an immediate reduction in said money.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)