Oct 15, 2012, 11:45 AM EST
For all the talk the NHL and NHLPA have engaged in since the CBA expired a month ago on Sept. 15, not one side has submitted a new proposal for the other to consider.
Will this be the week we see some concrete movement on the core economic issues? The two sides are set to meet Tuesday in Toronto, so it’s possible. The “Big Four” — Gary Bettman, Bill Daly, Donald Fehr and Steve Fehr — will reportedly be in attendance.
The last proposal — from the the league, on Sept. 12 — called for players to receive 49 percent of hockey-related revenue in Year 1 of the agreement, 48 percent in Year 2, and 47 percent in the remaining four years.
The players, having just earned 57 percent of the revenue under the last CBA, were predictably unimpressed. In fact, any scenario that results in less money going to the players in Year 1 of the agreement, they’ve said they won’t accept.
Thus the main sticking point of the disagreement, since the owners want an immediate reduction in said money.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)