Oct 15, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Add Edmonton Oilers captain Shawn Horcoff to the growing group of players whose lockout gripes seem largely directed at Gary Bettman – including addressing him as “Gary.”
Horcoff supplied ESPN’s Craig Custance with a resounding round of vitriol.
“It’s the same thing every time with the owners,” Horcoff said. ” … Gary has forced the players’ hand into this situation and frankly, he’s [ticked] us off. I think at the start, that first offer they gave out, that was a big, big mistake on Gary’s part.”
He also doesn’t believe that the Bettman’s side cares about fans’ frustrations.
“I sit there and read Gary and Bill’s comments about, ‘We feel sorry for the fans.’ Well, I find that really hard to believe,” Horcoff said. “I think it’s a blatant lie, personally. I don’t feel they feel sorry for the fans at all. Gary feels like no matter what, [the fans are] going to come back and couldn’t care less if they’re frustrated with this. He’s going to do what it takes to get the best deal and couldn’t care less what they feel.”
His comments include a noteworthy amount of bitterness, but his message is becoming more common.
Horcoff did provide a little extra insight on what might just break up some of the impasse, though.
“The league needs to state what they want most,” Horcoff said. ” … If we knew what they wanted most, we could probably do something. But right now, they want everything and it’s not going to happen.”
Wild guess: more money will be high on the list.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)