Oct 15, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT
After waiting on a transfer card, AK Bars Kazan finally got its man.
That was the story over the weekend as the KHL club announced the signing of — then played — Montreal Canadiens defenseman Alexei Emelin, a move that surely raised some eyebrows around the province of Quebec.
Emelin was originally drafted by Montreal in the third round (84th overall) of the 2004 draft, but elected to stay in Russia until last season, when he made his NHL debut at the ripe ol’ age of 25.
Despite that delayed start, Emelin impressed in Montreal by scoring 3G-4A-7PTS in 67 games while averaging over 17 minutes per contest. The Canadiens rewarded him with a two-year, $4 million contract extension in June.
But now he’s back with Bars, the club that employed him from 2007-11.
Over the weekend, Emelin debuted in a 4-2 win over Lev Praha, playing just over 16 minutes. It was a noteworthy development given the club had to wait on Emelin’s transfer card (he’d been linked to Bars for a while) before playing him and, curiously, he’s the only lockout signing made by Kazan thus far.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 29
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)