Oct 15, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT
After waiting on a transfer card, AK Bars Kazan finally got its man.
That was the story over the weekend as the KHL club announced the signing of — then played — Montreal Canadiens defenseman Alexei Emelin, a move that surely raised some eyebrows around the province of Quebec.
Emelin was originally drafted by Montreal in the third round (84th overall) of the 2004 draft, but elected to stay in Russia until last season, when he made his NHL debut at the ripe ol’ age of 25.
Despite that delayed start, Emelin impressed in Montreal by scoring 3G-4A-7PTS in 67 games while averaging over 17 minutes per contest. The Canadiens rewarded him with a two-year, $4 million contract extension in June.
But now he’s back with Bars, the club that employed him from 2007-11.
Over the weekend, Emelin debuted in a 4-2 win over Lev Praha, playing just over 16 minutes. It was a noteworthy development given the club had to wait on Emelin’s transfer card (he’d been linked to Bars for a while) before playing him and, curiously, he’s the only lockout signing made by Kazan thus far.
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 1
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 49
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (64)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)