Oct 15, 2012, 6:48 PM EDT
King County and Seattle city officials approved the revised Seattle arena plan that could eventually attract an NBA and NHL tenant, King 5’s Chris Daniels reports.
King County officials reached their decision unanimously (9-0) while Seattle city council members approved it by a 7-2 vote, according to Daniels.
The people behind the arena plan have stated that the top priority of this measure is to bring in an NBA team. In fact, they said there isn’t an “NHL-only” plan.
Here’s a little more information on the arena plan, via Daniels’ report.
Investor and hedge fund manager Chris Hansen wants to build the $490 million arena south of Safeco Field and has already snapped up $53 million in land for the project. Monday’s approval by the two councils means Hansen can now begin shopping for an NBA and NHL franchise.
The deal reached with the two councils calls for up to $145 million in public financing if Hansen can get one team to fill the building. Public financing would be $200 million for two teams. The financing would be paid by arena-generating revenue and includes no new taxes.
The group obviously hopes to fill the void left by the departed Seattle SuperSonics, but that doesn’t mean that they’d be against adding a professional hockey tenant.
Daryl Katz’s Edmonton Oilers ownership group made some noise by flirting with the market a bit a month ago, for instance.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 7
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)