Oct 15, 2012, 6:48 PM EST
King County and Seattle city officials approved the revised Seattle arena plan that could eventually attract an NBA and NHL tenant, King 5’s Chris Daniels reports.
King County officials reached their decision unanimously (9-0) while Seattle city council members approved it by a 7-2 vote, according to Daniels.
The people behind the arena plan have stated that the top priority of this measure is to bring in an NBA team. In fact, they said there isn’t an “NHL-only” plan.
Here’s a little more information on the arena plan, via Daniels’ report.
Investor and hedge fund manager Chris Hansen wants to build the $490 million arena south of Safeco Field and has already snapped up $53 million in land for the project. Monday’s approval by the two councils means Hansen can now begin shopping for an NBA and NHL franchise.
The deal reached with the two councils calls for up to $145 million in public financing if Hansen can get one team to fill the building. Public financing would be $200 million for two teams. The financing would be paid by arena-generating revenue and includes no new taxes.
The group obviously hopes to fill the void left by the departed Seattle SuperSonics, but that doesn’t mean that they’d be against adding a professional hockey tenant.
Daryl Katz’s Edmonton Oilers ownership group made some noise by flirting with the market a bit a month ago, for instance.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)