Oct 15, 2012, 6:48 PM EDT
King County and Seattle city officials approved the revised Seattle arena plan that could eventually attract an NBA and NHL tenant, King 5’s Chris Daniels reports.
King County officials reached their decision unanimously (9-0) while Seattle city council members approved it by a 7-2 vote, according to Daniels.
The people behind the arena plan have stated that the top priority of this measure is to bring in an NBA team. In fact, they said there isn’t an “NHL-only” plan.
Here’s a little more information on the arena plan, via Daniels’ report.
Investor and hedge fund manager Chris Hansen wants to build the $490 million arena south of Safeco Field and has already snapped up $53 million in land for the project. Monday’s approval by the two councils means Hansen can now begin shopping for an NBA and NHL franchise.
The deal reached with the two councils calls for up to $145 million in public financing if Hansen can get one team to fill the building. Public financing would be $200 million for two teams. The financing would be paid by arena-generating revenue and includes no new taxes.
The group obviously hopes to fill the void left by the departed Seattle SuperSonics, but that doesn’t mean that they’d be against adding a professional hockey tenant.
Daryl Katz’s Edmonton Oilers ownership group made some noise by flirting with the market a bit a month ago, for instance.
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 44
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)