Oct 14, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
When last we saw New Jersey’s Adam Henrique and Los Angeles’ Slava Voynov and Jordan Nolan on the same ice it was during the Kings’ Stanley Cup-clinching victory in Game 6 of the finals. With the lockout firmly in place, those players saw their seasons start in the AHL and their paths cross on that league’s opening weekend.
For Nolan, his season got off to a rough start breaking a finger in a fight against the Providence Bruins. After seeing his Manchester Monarchs take out the Albany Devils 2-1 last night, Nolan says he’s making the best of things back in the minors.
“It’s a little disappointing there’s no NHL season,” Nolan said. “To be back down here is a little frustrating, but this is the best hockey going right now. I’m excited to be with my team and I’m still a young player so I can still develop and get my game going.”
For Henrique, his breakout season and playoff stardom you’d think would make him more frustrated at having to start in the AHL rather than pick up where he left off. Instead, he’s focused on improving and helping Albany win.
“I’m not thinking about the lockout,” Henrique said. “My focus is on this team and getting the guys here on the right path and the team coming together.”
That kind of attitude will go a long way to helping the newcomers in the minors, but it’s got to sting the parent club knowing he’s not doing it on the big stage.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 6
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 22
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 35
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)