Oct 14, 2012, 11:31 AM EST
When last we saw New Jersey’s Adam Henrique and Los Angeles’ Slava Voynov and Jordan Nolan on the same ice it was during the Kings’ Stanley Cup-clinching victory in Game 6 of the finals. With the lockout firmly in place, those players saw their seasons start in the AHL and their paths cross on that league’s opening weekend.
For Nolan, his season got off to a rough start breaking a finger in a fight against the Providence Bruins. After seeing his Manchester Monarchs take out the Albany Devils 2-1 last night, Nolan says he’s making the best of things back in the minors.
“It’s a little disappointing there’s no NHL season,” Nolan said. “To be back down here is a little frustrating, but this is the best hockey going right now. I’m excited to be with my team and I’m still a young player so I can still develop and get my game going.”
For Henrique, his breakout season and playoff stardom you’d think would make him more frustrated at having to start in the AHL rather than pick up where he left off. Instead, he’s focused on improving and helping Albany win.
“I’m not thinking about the lockout,” Henrique said. “My focus is on this team and getting the guys here on the right path and the team coming together.”
That kind of attitude will go a long way to helping the newcomers in the minors, but it’s got to sting the parent club knowing he’s not doing it on the big stage.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 43
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)