Oct 14, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
When last we saw New Jersey’s Adam Henrique and Los Angeles’ Slava Voynov and Jordan Nolan on the same ice it was during the Kings’ Stanley Cup-clinching victory in Game 6 of the finals. With the lockout firmly in place, those players saw their seasons start in the AHL and their paths cross on that league’s opening weekend.
For Nolan, his season got off to a rough start breaking a finger in a fight against the Providence Bruins. After seeing his Manchester Monarchs take out the Albany Devils 2-1 last night, Nolan says he’s making the best of things back in the minors.
“It’s a little disappointing there’s no NHL season,” Nolan said. “To be back down here is a little frustrating, but this is the best hockey going right now. I’m excited to be with my team and I’m still a young player so I can still develop and get my game going.”
For Henrique, his breakout season and playoff stardom you’d think would make him more frustrated at having to start in the AHL rather than pick up where he left off. Instead, he’s focused on improving and helping Albany win.
“I’m not thinking about the lockout,” Henrique said. “My focus is on this team and getting the guys here on the right path and the team coming together.”
That kind of attitude will go a long way to helping the newcomers in the minors, but it’s got to sting the parent club knowing he’s not doing it on the big stage.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)