Oct 14, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
Did Gary Bettman give his old pal (and Toronto Maple Leafs GM) Brian Burke a heads up about the lockout canceling a full season?
Toronto Sun columnist Steve Simmons asks that question while reviewing a quiet offseason for the Leafs:
In the most inactive summer of Brian Burke’s time running the Maple Leafs, you have to wonder: What did his friend, Gary Bettman, tell him about the coming season?
And can Burke’s quiet approach to making over the Leafs be attributed in any way to a belief there will not be an NHL season?
Burke never went out and acquired the veteran goaltender he said he wasn’t going to get at the end of last season. He wasn’t in any way aggressive in the free agent market, which is understandable considering the mistakes made in the past. He never found the first-line centre he hoped for — and has this odd belief that James van Riemsdyk, a winger with talent and marginal success, can be that centre.
Naturally, there’s an easy counterargument for that: perhaps Burke didn’t identify a No. 1 center or veteran netminder in free agency.
(Few would venture that there were many – if any – free agents who met either description this past summer. Then again, this is Toronto.)
Simmons also points out that the team isn’t paying for the final season of problematic contract’s such as Tim Connolly‘s deal.
A retort for that is simple as well; wouldn’t Burke need to see the lockout coming years ahead of time to plan such a caper? Similarly, wouldn’t it be a sign of coherent management if a GM at least accounted for a possible lockout?
It’s tough to imagine the league giving one GM a head’s up – even of a franchise as crucial as the Maple Leafs. Do you think Simmons might be onto something, though?
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 8
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)