Oct 14, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Washington Capitals president Dick Patrick will be the first member of the franchise to accept the Lester Patrick Award, according to Mike Vogel of the team’s official site.
If his last name wasn’t a hint, the trophy is quite familiar to Dick Patrick for a simple reason: Lester Patrick was his grandfather.
Patrick discussed the honor of winning the award, but more than anything else, how he grew up with the sport.
Capitals owner Ted Leonsis gave the most amusing anecdote of that obsession to Vogel, though.
“I’ve looked at the Patrick family as being in the bedrock to the NHL,” Leonsis said. “ And Dick is an old school, traditional, hockey man. He really is. He authentically celebrates it in everything he does. He got married and the day after his wedding, he and his wife went to a hockey game, and then went on their honeymoon. His wife said to me, ‘So I knew from day one of the marriage where the priorities were, honeymoon or hockey game.’”
Leonsis told Vogel that he “defers to Dick” whenever there’s a pressing hockey question because of his experience and … passion.
“If I close my eyes, and I know you’re not supposed to jinx it, but I don’t think he would do anything with the Stanley Cup but bring it to bed with him and spoon with the Cup,” Leonsis said.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)