Oct 14, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Washington Capitals president Dick Patrick will be the first member of the franchise to accept the Lester Patrick Award, according to Mike Vogel of the team’s official site.
If his last name wasn’t a hint, the trophy is quite familiar to Dick Patrick for a simple reason: Lester Patrick was his grandfather.
Patrick discussed the honor of winning the award, but more than anything else, how he grew up with the sport.
Capitals owner Ted Leonsis gave the most amusing anecdote of that obsession to Vogel, though.
“I’ve looked at the Patrick family as being in the bedrock to the NHL,” Leonsis said. “ And Dick is an old school, traditional, hockey man. He really is. He authentically celebrates it in everything he does. He got married and the day after his wedding, he and his wife went to a hockey game, and then went on their honeymoon. His wife said to me, ‘So I knew from day one of the marriage where the priorities were, honeymoon or hockey game.’”
Leonsis told Vogel that he “defers to Dick” whenever there’s a pressing hockey question because of his experience and … passion.
“If I close my eyes, and I know you’re not supposed to jinx it, but I don’t think he would do anything with the Stanley Cup but bring it to bed with him and spoon with the Cup,” Leonsis said.
- Report: Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 0
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 7
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 23
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 53
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)