Oct 14, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
When the NHL locked out the players back in 2004, New Jersey’s rising star Adam Henrique was just 14 years old and a huge hockey fan as well as a player.
Last night he returned to Albany, New York – where he was a star for the Albany Devils back in 2010-11 — but not by choice as the league’s current lockout forced him back to the minors.
If you think he’s lost perspective on what it’s like being a fan versus being a player as the labor battle rages on, you’d be wrong.
“It’s a little different being on different sides of the situation,” Henrique said. “Back then I really didn’t understand what was going on. Now, having the chance over the last couple years to learn the business side of things and, you know, as a young kid you don’t know that stuff.”
The economic X’s and O’s don’t do much for the fans to make them stay interested in the NHL, but Henrique is confident things will work out for the best.
“There’s a lot to it and right now we have a lot of the right people in the right place for us that are doing great things,” Henrique said. “Everyone is coming together and doing what they have to do to make things work and hopefully we get things settled at some point.”
On a more lighthearted note, Henrique earned a few more fans by rocking a killer mustache throughout last year’s playoffs. Will it make an early return thanks to the lockout?
“If we make the playoffs it might make a comeback,” he said with a smile.
Fans in New Jersey hope they get to see it at The Rock come April.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 18
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 43
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)