Oct 13, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
It was a quiet but stellar start to the season for Notre Dame while Nebraska-Omaha started with a bang at the Icebreaker Tournament in Kansas City.
The No. 13 Fighting Irish knocked off Maine 1-0 last night thanks to a T.J. Tynan (Blue Jackets) goal and a 22-save shutout from Steven Summerhays. UNO beat up on Army 5-1 getting goals from five different players to help set up tonight’s tournament championship game (7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN).
Of the two teams, Notre Dame had the more difficult opponent in Maine last night and put 33 shots on Black Bears goalie Dan Sullivan. While getting just one goal could be discouraging, it was one of their big guns who scored it.
Meanwhile, UNO coach Dean Blais and his team’s tough defense will have their hands full in trying to wrangle Notre Dame’s attack. Considering the offensive output they had on Army last night, they’re hoping they’ve got a few more goals to go around to test the Irish.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 2
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 14
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 15
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9