Oct 13, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
It was a quiet but stellar start to the season for Notre Dame while Nebraska-Omaha started with a bang at the Icebreaker Tournament in Kansas City.
The No. 13 Fighting Irish knocked off Maine 1-0 last night thanks to a T.J. Tynan (Blue Jackets) goal and a 22-save shutout from Steven Summerhays. UNO beat up on Army 5-1 getting goals from five different players to help set up tonight’s tournament championship game (7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN).
Of the two teams, Notre Dame had the more difficult opponent in Maine last night and put 33 shots on Black Bears goalie Dan Sullivan. While getting just one goal could be discouraging, it was one of their big guns who scored it.
Meanwhile, UNO coach Dean Blais and his team’s tough defense will have their hands full in trying to wrangle Notre Dame’s attack. Considering the offensive output they had on Army last night, they’re hoping they’ve got a few more goals to go around to test the Irish.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 53
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 41
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 46
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)