Oct 13, 2012, 11:30 AM EST
It was a quiet but stellar start to the season for Notre Dame while Nebraska-Omaha started with a bang at the Icebreaker Tournament in Kansas City.
The No. 13 Fighting Irish knocked off Maine 1-0 last night thanks to a T.J. Tynan (Blue Jackets) goal and a 22-save shutout from Steven Summerhays. UNO beat up on Army 5-1 getting goals from five different players to help set up tonight’s tournament championship game (7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN).
Of the two teams, Notre Dame had the more difficult opponent in Maine last night and put 33 shots on Black Bears goalie Dan Sullivan. While getting just one goal could be discouraging, it was one of their big guns who scored it.
Meanwhile, UNO coach Dean Blais and his team’s tough defense will have their hands full in trying to wrangle Notre Dame’s attack. Considering the offensive output they had on Army last night, they’re hoping they’ve got a few more goals to go around to test the Irish.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 124
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 95
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 107
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (130)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (126)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (115)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (96)