Oct 13, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
It was a quiet but stellar start to the season for Notre Dame while Nebraska-Omaha started with a bang at the Icebreaker Tournament in Kansas City.
The No. 13 Fighting Irish knocked off Maine 1-0 last night thanks to a T.J. Tynan (Blue Jackets) goal and a 22-save shutout from Steven Summerhays. UNO beat up on Army 5-1 getting goals from five different players to help set up tonight’s tournament championship game (7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN).
Of the two teams, Notre Dame had the more difficult opponent in Maine last night and put 33 shots on Black Bears goalie Dan Sullivan. While getting just one goal could be discouraging, it was one of their big guns who scored it.
Meanwhile, UNO coach Dean Blais and his team’s tough defense will have their hands full in trying to wrangle Notre Dame’s attack. Considering the offensive output they had on Army last night, they’re hoping they’ve got a few more goals to go around to test the Irish.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)