Oct 13, 2012, 6:47 PM EST
The Williamsport Outlaws have a question: If they play all their home games outdoors, will you watch them do it?
Williamsport, Pennsylvania is a town better known for being the birthplace of Little League Baseball, but the Outlaws of the young Northeastern US-based Federal Hockey League and they have ambitious goals, according to an NBC Sports report.
The Outlaws are an affiliate of the ECHL Elmira Jackals, which are themselves part of the Ottawa Senators’ organization.
At a pricetag of about $300,000, they have tasked Rink Specialists to construct an outdoor rink for them. Rink Specialists have previously made the ice sheets for the Winter Classic.
“There are certainly obstacles that we’ll face like weather conditions and maintenance of the facility,” Outlaws team president and head coach Chris Firriolo said. “But I think it will be a really impressive novelty.”
Williamsport Mayor Gabriel Campana feels that this plan is something to be proud of and noted that “it’s actually cheaper than building a multipurpose arena.”
(Photo of the construction courtesy of Williamsportoutlaws.com)
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)