Oct 13, 2012, 6:47 PM EDT
The Williamsport Outlaws have a question: If they play all their home games outdoors, will you watch them do it?
Williamsport, Pennsylvania is a town better known for being the birthplace of Little League Baseball, but the Outlaws of the young Northeastern US-based Federal Hockey League and they have ambitious goals, according to an NBC Sports report.
The Outlaws are an affiliate of the ECHL Elmira Jackals, which are themselves part of the Ottawa Senators’ organization.
At a pricetag of about $300,000, they have tasked Rink Specialists to construct an outdoor rink for them. Rink Specialists have previously made the ice sheets for the Winter Classic.
“There are certainly obstacles that we’ll face like weather conditions and maintenance of the facility,” Outlaws team president and head coach Chris Firriolo said. “But I think it will be a really impressive novelty.”
Williamsport Mayor Gabriel Campana feels that this plan is something to be proud of and noted that “it’s actually cheaper than building a multipurpose arena.”
(Photo of the construction courtesy of Williamsportoutlaws.com)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)