Oct 13, 2012, 6:47 PM EST
The Williamsport Outlaws have a question: If they play all their home games outdoors, will you watch them do it?
Williamsport, Pennsylvania is a town better known for being the birthplace of Little League Baseball, but the Outlaws of the young Northeastern US-based Federal Hockey League and they have ambitious goals, according to an NBC Sports report.
The Outlaws are an affiliate of the ECHL Elmira Jackals, which are themselves part of the Ottawa Senators’ organization.
At a pricetag of about $300,000, they have tasked Rink Specialists to construct an outdoor rink for them. Rink Specialists have previously made the ice sheets for the Winter Classic.
“There are certainly obstacles that we’ll face like weather conditions and maintenance of the facility,” Outlaws team president and head coach Chris Firriolo said. “But I think it will be a really impressive novelty.”
Williamsport Mayor Gabriel Campana feels that this plan is something to be proud of and noted that “it’s actually cheaper than building a multipurpose arena.”
(Photo of the construction courtesy of Williamsportoutlaws.com)
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 20
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)