Oct 12, 2012, 11:30 AM EST
Another day, another locked-out NHLer going to…the CHL?
After Phoenix defenseman David Schlemko announced he’d be playing for the Central Hockey League’s Arizona Sundogs, the Denver Post reports Detroit blueliner Kyle Quincey will suit up for the Denver Cutthroats.
“Good friend of mine, and a real community-oriented guy. He wanted to give back to the community,” Cutthroats head coach and ex-NHLer Derek Armstrong said of Quincey. “When I met him he was a kid in the NHL and we sat next to each other in the locker room in L.A. He told me last summer if this thing happened (NHL lockout) he would like to play for me.
“Of course, he wants to stay in shape and be ready when the (NHL) season starts, but it was really about giving back to the community and believing in what we’re doing for the community here.”
Quincey played three years in Colorado before being traded to the Wings at last February’s trade deadline (he’s since signed a two-year, $7.55 million deal with Detroit.)
Quincey still lives in Denver during the offseason and trained with the University of Denver hockey team this summer.
Now, about the CHL…
For the uninitiated, it’s a 1o-team circuit with franchises in Texas (Texas Brahmas, Allen Americans), Arizona (Sundogs), Illinois (Bloomington Blaze, Quad City Mallards), Colorado (Denver Cutthroats), Missouri (Mavericks), South Dakota (Rapid City Rush), Oklahoma (Tulsa Oilers) and Kansas (Wichita Thunder).
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 16
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 28
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 53
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 58
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)