Oct 12, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Another day, another locked-out NHLer going to…the CHL?
After Phoenix defenseman David Schlemko announced he’d be playing for the Central Hockey League’s Arizona Sundogs, the Denver Post reports Detroit blueliner Kyle Quincey will suit up for the Denver Cutthroats.
“Good friend of mine, and a real community-oriented guy. He wanted to give back to the community,” Cutthroats head coach and ex-NHLer Derek Armstrong said of Quincey. “When I met him he was a kid in the NHL and we sat next to each other in the locker room in L.A. He told me last summer if this thing happened (NHL lockout) he would like to play for me.
“Of course, he wants to stay in shape and be ready when the (NHL) season starts, but it was really about giving back to the community and believing in what we’re doing for the community here.”
Quincey played three years in Colorado before being traded to the Wings at last February’s trade deadline (he’s since signed a two-year, $7.55 million deal with Detroit.)
Quincey still lives in Denver during the offseason and trained with the University of Denver hockey team this summer.
Now, about the CHL…
For the uninitiated, it’s a 1o-team circuit with franchises in Texas (Texas Brahmas, Allen Americans), Arizona (Sundogs), Illinois (Bloomington Blaze, Quad City Mallards), Colorado (Denver Cutthroats), Missouri (Mavericks), South Dakota (Rapid City Rush), Oklahoma (Tulsa Oilers) and Kansas (Wichita Thunder).
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 8
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)