Oct 12, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Another day, another locked-out NHLer going to…the CHL?
After Phoenix defenseman David Schlemko announced he’d be playing for the Central Hockey League’s Arizona Sundogs, the Denver Post reports Detroit blueliner Kyle Quincey will suit up for the Denver Cutthroats.
“Good friend of mine, and a real community-oriented guy. He wanted to give back to the community,” Cutthroats head coach and ex-NHLer Derek Armstrong said of Quincey. “When I met him he was a kid in the NHL and we sat next to each other in the locker room in L.A. He told me last summer if this thing happened (NHL lockout) he would like to play for me.
“Of course, he wants to stay in shape and be ready when the (NHL) season starts, but it was really about giving back to the community and believing in what we’re doing for the community here.”
Quincey played three years in Colorado before being traded to the Wings at last February’s trade deadline (he’s since signed a two-year, $7.55 million deal with Detroit.)
Quincey still lives in Denver during the offseason and trained with the University of Denver hockey team this summer.
Now, about the CHL…
For the uninitiated, it’s a 1o-team circuit with franchises in Texas (Texas Brahmas, Allen Americans), Arizona (Sundogs), Illinois (Bloomington Blaze, Quad City Mallards), Colorado (Denver Cutthroats), Missouri (Mavericks), South Dakota (Rapid City Rush), Oklahoma (Tulsa Oilers) and Kansas (Wichita Thunder).
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 33
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)