Oct 12, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Another day, another locked-out NHLer going to…the CHL?
After Phoenix defenseman David Schlemko announced he’d be playing for the Central Hockey League’s Arizona Sundogs, the Denver Post reports Detroit blueliner Kyle Quincey will suit up for the Denver Cutthroats.
“Good friend of mine, and a real community-oriented guy. He wanted to give back to the community,” Cutthroats head coach and ex-NHLer Derek Armstrong said of Quincey. “When I met him he was a kid in the NHL and we sat next to each other in the locker room in L.A. He told me last summer if this thing happened (NHL lockout) he would like to play for me.
“Of course, he wants to stay in shape and be ready when the (NHL) season starts, but it was really about giving back to the community and believing in what we’re doing for the community here.”
Quincey played three years in Colorado before being traded to the Wings at last February’s trade deadline (he’s since signed a two-year, $7.55 million deal with Detroit.)
Quincey still lives in Denver during the offseason and trained with the University of Denver hockey team this summer.
Now, about the CHL…
For the uninitiated, it’s a 1o-team circuit with franchises in Texas (Texas Brahmas, Allen Americans), Arizona (Sundogs), Illinois (Bloomington Blaze, Quad City Mallards), Colorado (Denver Cutthroats), Missouri (Mavericks), South Dakota (Rapid City Rush), Oklahoma (Tulsa Oilers) and Kansas (Wichita Thunder).
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)