Oct 12, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Another day, another locked-out NHLer going to…the CHL?
After Phoenix defenseman David Schlemko announced he’d be playing for the Central Hockey League’s Arizona Sundogs, the Denver Post reports Detroit blueliner Kyle Quincey will suit up for the Denver Cutthroats.
“Good friend of mine, and a real community-oriented guy. He wanted to give back to the community,” Cutthroats head coach and ex-NHLer Derek Armstrong said of Quincey. “When I met him he was a kid in the NHL and we sat next to each other in the locker room in L.A. He told me last summer if this thing happened (NHL lockout) he would like to play for me.
“Of course, he wants to stay in shape and be ready when the (NHL) season starts, but it was really about giving back to the community and believing in what we’re doing for the community here.”
Quincey played three years in Colorado before being traded to the Wings at last February’s trade deadline (he’s since signed a two-year, $7.55 million deal with Detroit.)
Quincey still lives in Denver during the offseason and trained with the University of Denver hockey team this summer.
Now, about the CHL…
For the uninitiated, it’s a 1o-team circuit with franchises in Texas (Texas Brahmas, Allen Americans), Arizona (Sundogs), Illinois (Bloomington Blaze, Quad City Mallards), Colorado (Denver Cutthroats), Missouri (Mavericks), South Dakota (Rapid City Rush), Oklahoma (Tulsa Oilers) and Kansas (Wichita Thunder).
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)