Oct 12, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
“I can see the level of the game, I can see the guys, the skill of the players, how they have great techniques,” Ovechkin said. “I think right now it’s – with the NHL not working – the KHL is the best league.”
The numbers back up Ovechkin’s claims, at least from a quantity standpoint.
The KHL employs 27 percent of jettisoned NHL players, according to The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle.
According to Mirtle’s report, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Finland and Sweden are the closest competitors behind Russia’s KHL while Poland and Slovakia bring up the rear.
As the Ovechkins of the world get in game shape, Mirtle points out that most North American-born players are mostly staying put.
Of the 133, I count 32 Canadians and 11 Americans, which means they make up about one-third of the total. That makes a lot of sense, as it’s far more comfortable for European players to simply remain in their hometowns where many spent the off-season, but it could put the North Americans who make up 75 per cent of the NHL at a disadvantage once the season finally begins.
We’ll see if these movements make any impact in a shortened season – if there is one, of course.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (89)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)