Oct 12, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
“I can see the level of the game, I can see the guys, the skill of the players, how they have great techniques,” Ovechkin said. “I think right now it’s – with the NHL not working – the KHL is the best league.”
The numbers back up Ovechkin’s claims, at least from a quantity standpoint.
The KHL employs 27 percent of jettisoned NHL players, according to The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle.
According to Mirtle’s report, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Finland and Sweden are the closest competitors behind Russia’s KHL while Poland and Slovakia bring up the rear.
As the Ovechkins of the world get in game shape, Mirtle points out that most North American-born players are mostly staying put.
Of the 133, I count 32 Canadians and 11 Americans, which means they make up about one-third of the total. That makes a lot of sense, as it’s far more comfortable for European players to simply remain in their hometowns where many spent the off-season, but it could put the North Americans who make up 75 per cent of the NHL at a disadvantage once the season finally begins.
We’ll see if these movements make any impact in a shortened season – if there is one, of course.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 4
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)