Oct 12, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils and Columbus Blue Jackets are telling players that have been assigned to the AHL during the NHL lockout to secure housing for the entire season.
This according to the Globe and Mail’s David Shoalts, who calls it a sign New Jersey and Columbus management believe the NHL’s work stoppage could cost the entire 2012-13 schedule.
Among the players told to secure housing were Devils defenceman Adam Larsson and forwards Jacob Josefson, Adam Henrique and Mattias Tedenby, who all played in the NHL last season. The four players, who are still on NHL entry-level contracts and thus qualify to play in the AHL, are with the Albany Devils.
The roster of the Blue Jackets’ AHL farm team, the Springfield Falcons, includes forwards Ryan Johansen, Cody Bass, Cam Atkinson and Ryan Russell and defencemen Cody Goloubef, John Moore and David Savard, who all spent significant time in the NHL with the Blue Jackets last season.
Not that this is anywhere close to definitive proof the entire NHL season will be cancelled. We’re pretty sure there are month-to-month rentals in Albany and Springfield. Perhaps players are just being advised to move into something a little more permanent than the local Howard Johnson.
Still, the fact they’re being told to prepare for the possibility is somewhat disconcerting. (Though most of us were fairly disconcerted already.)
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 0
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 24
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)