Oct 12, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils and Columbus Blue Jackets are telling players that have been assigned to the AHL during the NHL lockout to secure housing for the entire season.
This according to the Globe and Mail’s David Shoalts, who calls it a sign New Jersey and Columbus management believe the NHL’s work stoppage could cost the entire 2012-13 schedule.
Among the players told to secure housing were Devils defenceman Adam Larsson and forwards Jacob Josefson, Adam Henrique and Mattias Tedenby, who all played in the NHL last season. The four players, who are still on NHL entry-level contracts and thus qualify to play in the AHL, are with the Albany Devils.
The roster of the Blue Jackets’ AHL farm team, the Springfield Falcons, includes forwards Ryan Johansen, Cody Bass, Cam Atkinson and Ryan Russell and defencemen Cody Goloubef, John Moore and David Savard, who all spent significant time in the NHL with the Blue Jackets last season.
Not that this is anywhere close to definitive proof the entire NHL season will be cancelled. We’re pretty sure there are month-to-month rentals in Albany and Springfield. Perhaps players are just being advised to move into something a little more permanent than the local Howard Johnson.
Still, the fact they’re being told to prepare for the possibility is somewhat disconcerting. (Though most of us were fairly disconcerted already.)
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 46
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)