Oct 12, 2012, 3:59 PM EDT
While many NHLers have decided to spend the lockout playing hockey elsewhere, Canucks forward Manny Malhotra has been intimately involved in the CBA talks between the NHLPA and owners.
Wednesday and Thursday, for example, he was in New York as part of the union’s negotiating team.
The 32-year-old calls his participation in the meetings “an incredible learning experience” and believes those players who aren’t partaking are missing out.
“If you just want to bury your head and just go to the rink and play hockey and do nothing else, you’re missing a world of the behind the scenes of what really goes into a CBA, what goes into the makeup of the league, how the league operates,” he tells the Associated Press.
Was that a “veiled shot” at some of the less involved players? Maybe, maybe not.
However, with the NHLPA bragging it’s never been more unified, it’s going to raise eyebrows when a player suggests others are simply burying their heads during CBA negotiations.
At any rate, Malhotra spent the 2004-05 lockout overseas, so if he’s indeed frustrated at some of his union brethren, it’s not like he can get too haughty about it.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)