Oct 12, 2012, 6:51 PM EDT
Under other circumstances, Henrik Lundqvist would be getting ready to play against the Los Angeles Kings tonight. Fresh off his Vezina Trophy winning season, he and the New York Rangers would be looking to prove that they have what it takes to best the 2012 Stanley Cup champions.
Instead, Lundqvist announced that he’s heading back to Sweden for now.
“Not sure when we’re coming back, could be a week or couple of months,” Lundqvist tweeted. The length of the current lockout will probably be a determining factor.
Lundqvist previously spoke about the possibility of returning to Sweden and suggested that he’d play hockey there in the interest of being “in the best shape for the Rangers once the season begins.”
The Rangers made it all the way to the Eastern Conference finals in 2012 and added Rick Nash over the summer. They should be a legitimate contender for the Cup once the lockout ends.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 27
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 91
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 45
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 74
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63