Oct 12, 2012, 9:35 PM EDT
Every day that goes by at this point will tell a story of what could have been if we had a new CBA and there was no lockout.
Tonight, Kings fans would have crowded the Staples Center to watch the team’s championship banner rise after their historic and improbable 2011-12 Stanley Cup-winning campaign.
“We certainly feel bad for our fans, as they have been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to see us culminate our first Stanley Cup championship by raising a banner into the rafters at Staples Center,” said Kings’ president of business operations Luc Robitaille, according to the Los Angeles Times.
“We know one day this will eventually take place, and we remain hopeful that it is sooner rather than later.”
Of course, when that will happen is anyone’s guess.
“We are all extremely disappointed that our season will not begin on time this season,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said. “The Kings and their fans are very deserving of a celebration of their victory and tremendous accomplishment last spring, and we remain committed to providing that opportunity as soon as possible.”
Kings governor Tim Leiweke is also “very sorry” for the delay and wanted to assure the fans that he shares their frustration.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 26
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)