Oct 12, 2012, 9:35 PM EDT
Every day that goes by at this point will tell a story of what could have been if we had a new CBA and there was no lockout.
Tonight, Kings fans would have crowded the Staples Center to watch the team’s championship banner rise after their historic and improbable 2011-12 Stanley Cup-winning campaign.
“We certainly feel bad for our fans, as they have been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to see us culminate our first Stanley Cup championship by raising a banner into the rafters at Staples Center,” said Kings’ president of business operations Luc Robitaille, according to the Los Angeles Times.
“We know one day this will eventually take place, and we remain hopeful that it is sooner rather than later.”
Of course, when that will happen is anyone’s guess.
“We are all extremely disappointed that our season will not begin on time this season,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said. “The Kings and their fans are very deserving of a celebration of their victory and tremendous accomplishment last spring, and we remain committed to providing that opportunity as soon as possible.”
Kings governor Tim Leiweke is also “very sorry” for the delay and wanted to assure the fans that he shares their frustration.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 0
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 105
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (106)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)