Oct 12, 2012, 9:35 PM EDT
Every day that goes by at this point will tell a story of what could have been if we had a new CBA and there was no lockout.
Tonight, Kings fans would have crowded the Staples Center to watch the team’s championship banner rise after their historic and improbable 2011-12 Stanley Cup-winning campaign.
“We certainly feel bad for our fans, as they have been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to see us culminate our first Stanley Cup championship by raising a banner into the rafters at Staples Center,” said Kings’ president of business operations Luc Robitaille, according to the Los Angeles Times.
“We know one day this will eventually take place, and we remain hopeful that it is sooner rather than later.”
Of course, when that will happen is anyone’s guess.
“We are all extremely disappointed that our season will not begin on time this season,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said. “The Kings and their fans are very deserving of a celebration of their victory and tremendous accomplishment last spring, and we remain committed to providing that opportunity as soon as possible.”
Kings governor Tim Leiweke is also “very sorry” for the delay and wanted to assure the fans that he shares their frustration.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 29
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)