Locked out NHLers complain of boredom, having to watch baseball

Oct 12, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT

bryan little

It appears the players are getting stir crazy.

With the lockout nearing the 30-day mark, some NHLers are becoming a little too comfortable — and therefore, uncomfortable — with the prospect of having nothing to do.

For example, consider what Winnipeg Jets forward Bryan Little told the Free Press:

“It feels like we should have been playing a long time ago. Everything is going by slow. It’s hard to believe it’s the middle of October. It’s strange. I’ve found myself watching lots of baseball, which I don’t normally do. That’s all there is to do right now, watch baseball playoffs.

“That’s pretty upsetting when you’re supposed to be playing and you’re sitting at home.”

Or, what Patrick Kane told the Chicago Tribune:

“We just want to be playing hockey. As fun as it is to sit on the couch all day at home and do nothing, it starts getting boring after a while.”

Or, what Evander Kane told the New York Times:

“It’s definitely weird to not be in training camp right now. For me, it’s been a little bit too long for my liking not to be playing in the N.H.L.

“You get a little bored sometimes.”

Of the three, only Evander Kane has found work, signing with Dinamo Minsk of the KHL. (Where he reportedly showed up out of shape, drew the ire of his head coach, then watched his head coach get fired today — not so boring now!)

For Little and Patrick Kane, the goal will be to stave off further boredom and avoid the “nothin’ else to do, might as well eat” trap that ensnared Keith Tkachuk during the last lockout.

1. sippindasyzurp - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM

This now signifies that NHL players are way overpaid and have more money than they know what to do with… Can the players just shut-up already? They just keep throwing away any credibility they have with fans saying these things.

To think that most people go to work on a daily basis just to grind out a decent living of 30-50K a year and we have to listen to these guys complain how “bored” they are sitting on the couch.

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 12, 2012 at 7:15 PM

They want to play. Your comment reeks of petty jealously.

2. paperkid96 - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I’m surprised Patrick isn’t hanging out in Madison.

• davebabychreturns - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM

What with mishegoss of midterms, he probably can’t find any young women to choke.

• lostpuppysyndrome - Oct 12, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Eh, Homecoming is in a couple weekends. There’s still time.

3. id4joey - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Then, get to playing hockey you bunch of spoiled brats.

4. lostpuppysyndrome - Oct 12, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Patrick, if you’re pickin’ your nose on the couch all day waiting for something to happen and complaining about nothing to do, get up and do something. Makes you sound like a whiny teenager during summer.

And Brian, stop watching baseball. That game sucks and you know it.

5. boxwatcher - Oct 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I actually feel for the players. My union went on strike against our employer for three months over the summer. At first it’s exciting but it doesn’t take long for boredom to set in. At least we had the fun of picketing. One way or another I hope it gets settled soon.

6. bruinsfan19 - Oct 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Get a deal done boys . Lets get this season underway. Can’t stand not watching hockey

7. jaybyrd99 - Oct 13, 2012 at 9:45 AM

You know what bores me ? Agreeing with all my flyer fan friends about missing the
    NHL . I follow the rangers ,but what we need now is the players and owners to stop bickering and get a deal done . Then I can start disagreeing with my rival fans once more !

8. manchestermiracle - Oct 13, 2012 at 10:26 AM

You’d think these mental midgets would be smart enough to put that free time to good use. What are you going to do when your playing career is over? Do you even have a plan? Wouldn’t this be a good time to start putting down a foundation of life after hockey? No wonder the owners think they have the upper hand in negotiations, they’re dealing with overgrown children.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches