Oct 12, 2012, 4:20 PM EST
Canucks GM Mike Gillis appeared on Vancouver’s TEAM 1040 today and provided a health update for a number of players — an update that also served as a financial statement.
According to Gillis, Alex Edler (back) and Jason Garrison (groin) are with Ryan Kesler (shoulder) on the list of injured Canucks. And because all three were injured prior to the start of the lockout, all three are collecting paychecks.
The trio combines for $10.75 million in salary — a sizable chunk of change given, you know, there’s no hockey being played right now.
As for the injuries themselves:
— Edler has a bulging disc in his back, something diagnosed over the summer but, according to Gillis, not a long-term concern. It should be noted that Edler had microdiscectomy surgery — a procedure where a portion of the intervetebral disc is removed — in Jan. 2011, and missed 31 games as a result.
— Garrison has a groin strain, described as a “nagging injury” that hasn’t gone away during the offseason. Like Edler, Garrison has a history with his ailment — he missed five regular-season and three playoff games last year for the Panthers with a groin issue.
(Note: Garrison received a $3 million signing bonus for this season from Vancouver, so he’s laughing. But not too hard, because he has a groin injury.)
— Kesler underwent shoulder surgery in May and wrist surgery in June, and recently said he’s “pretty far behind” in his recovery.
The Canucks are not alone in footing big salaries of injured players. The Rangers are still shelling out for Marian Gaborik (shoulder, $7.5 million), the Flyers for Chris Pronger (concussion, $7.2 million) and the Bruins for Marc Savard (concussion, $6.5 million.)
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 11
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)