Oct 12, 2012, 4:20 PM EST
Canucks GM Mike Gillis appeared on Vancouver’s TEAM 1040 today and provided a health update for a number of players — an update that also served as a financial statement.
According to Gillis, Alex Edler (back) and Jason Garrison (groin) are with Ryan Kesler (shoulder) on the list of injured Canucks. And because all three were injured prior to the start of the lockout, all three are collecting paychecks.
The trio combines for $10.75 million in salary — a sizable chunk of change given, you know, there’s no hockey being played right now.
As for the injuries themselves:
– Edler has a bulging disc in his back, something diagnosed over the summer but, according to Gillis, not a long-term concern. It should be noted that Edler had microdiscectomy surgery — a procedure where a portion of the intervetebral disc is removed — in Jan. 2011, and missed 31 games as a result.
– Garrison has a groin strain, described as a “nagging injury” that hasn’t gone away during the offseason. Like Edler, Garrison has a history with his ailment — he missed five regular-season and three playoff games last year for the Panthers with a groin issue.
(Note: Garrison received a $3 million signing bonus for this season from Vancouver, so he’s laughing. But not too hard, because he has a groin injury.)
– Kesler underwent shoulder surgery in May and wrist surgery in June, and recently said he’s “pretty far behind” in his recovery.
The Canucks are not alone in footing big salaries of injured players. The Rangers are still shelling out for Marian Gaborik (shoulder, $7.5 million), the Flyers for Chris Pronger (concussion, $7.2 million) and the Bruins for Marc Savard (concussion, $6.5 million.)
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 29
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)