Oct 12, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
Sergei Gonchar will play for the Ottawa Senators when this lockout ends. As for his fellow Russian-born players, he’s not so sure. He thinks some of them might end up staying in the KHL, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
“If the guys feel like it’s not fair what’s on the table, they might ask [NHLPA executive director] Don [Fehr] to put something in the new CBA to allow them to stay back home,” Gonchar said. “I mean, why not? We don’t know where it’s going with that new CBA. Everything is possible. That’s why I think there is a chance that a guy like Alex might stay back home.”
Gonchar is of course referring to Alex Ovechkin, who has already threatened to stay in the KHL if his NHL salary gets cut.
Ovechkin would be leaving a lot of money on the table if he did that. He’s completed just four seasons out of his 13-year, $124 million contract with the Washington Capitals.
It’s also worth noting that the KHL and NHL have agreed to respect both leagues’ contracts and KHL vice-president Ilya Kochevrin recently insisted that the KHL would continue to honor.
At the end of the day, as LeBrun speculated, this might just be a tactic that the players are using to put pressure on the NHL to make a deal.
Still, Gonchar feels that the KHL has improved and once his current contract with the Ottawa Senators expires this summer, he won’t completely dismiss the possibility of heading back to the KHL at the age of 39.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 8
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 47
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (51)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)