Oct 12, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
A rare bit of actual hockey news to pass your way…
John Davidson, freshly removed from his post as president of the St. Louis Blues, will be in Columbus this weekend to meet with Blue Jackets owner John P. McConnell and president Mike Priest.
According to the Columbus Dispatch, Davidson and his wife will also be given a tour of local neighborhoods and suburbs — a pretty telling development given that, in an interview last weekend, Davidson expressed interest in working for the Blue Jackets.
Here’s more, from the Dispatch:
It’s widely assumed around the NHL that [Davidson] would need the promise of complete autonomy, just as he had with the Blues since joining them as president in 2006.
In that scenario, Davidson would likely assume the title of president of hockey operations, giving him authority of general manager Scott Howson and all hockey decisions. Priest could switch strictly to the business side of the organization, while retaining his rights to serve on the NHL board of governors.
McConnell and Priest have said for more than a year that the Blue Jackets were interested in adding experienced, proven executives to their front office if such a person became available.
If history is any indicator, McConnell and Priest are serious when it comes to bringing aboard veteran hockey folk. The pair added former Penguins and Rangers GM Craig Patrick midway through last season.
This weekend won’t be the first time McConnell and Priest have met with Davidson. The three first gathered on May 29 at Nationwide Arena, a precursor to Davidson agreeing to a contract buyout with the Blues.
Apr 16, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Tampa Bay’s top-six would have been in trouble without them.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
His solid regular season will be overshadowed by whatever he does in the playoffs.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Previewing the first round.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Going up against a pretty good team in L.A.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Add yours in the comments section.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
Well, that’s good for St. Louis.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
Apr 15, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
They’ve struggled after the Olympics.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
It was a tough season in Buffalo.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
“It puts a lot more pressure on everybody else,” says Nathan MacKinnon.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
After losing the No. 1 pick to Colorado last year.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
Anders Lindback gets the start.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Didn’t practice Tuesday.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Heck, will Steve Mason even be available?
Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Just days after another group of ex-players filed last Thursday.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
What about the Stars over the Ducks?
Apr 15, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
“He’s relentless,” according to Craig MacTavish.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“I don’t think I can screw it up too bad whoever I choose.”
Apr 15, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
The city has terminated the contract.
Apr 15, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
You don’t say.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 15
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 8
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)