Oct 12, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
A rare bit of actual hockey news to pass your way…
John Davidson, freshly removed from his post as president of the St. Louis Blues, will be in Columbus this weekend to meet with Blue Jackets owner John P. McConnell and president Mike Priest.
According to the Columbus Dispatch, Davidson and his wife will also be given a tour of local neighborhoods and suburbs — a pretty telling development given that, in an interview last weekend, Davidson expressed interest in working for the Blue Jackets.
Here’s more, from the Dispatch:
It’s widely assumed around the NHL that [Davidson] would need the promise of complete autonomy, just as he had with the Blues since joining them as president in 2006.
In that scenario, Davidson would likely assume the title of president of hockey operations, giving him authority of general manager Scott Howson and all hockey decisions. Priest could switch strictly to the business side of the organization, while retaining his rights to serve on the NHL board of governors.
McConnell and Priest have said for more than a year that the Blue Jackets were interested in adding experienced, proven executives to their front office if such a person became available.
If history is any indicator, McConnell and Priest are serious when it comes to bringing aboard veteran hockey folk. The pair added former Penguins and Rangers GM Craig Patrick midway through last season.
This weekend won’t be the first time McConnell and Priest have met with Davidson. The three first gathered on May 29 at Nationwide Arena, a precursor to Davidson agreeing to a contract buyout with the Blues.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)