Oct 12, 2012, 12:04 PM EST
The Dougie Hamilton love-in continued on Thursday when CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty caught up with Bruins coach Claude Julien.
Julien told Haggerty he took in a few of Hamilton’s OHL Niagara games on a recent scouting trip, and was blown away at the young defenseman’s game.
“Dougie is such a big player and he’s gotten so much stronger. He was just outstanding,” Julien said. “It was impressive to see him. I’d say he has a great chance to stick [in the NHL].”
Hamilton, taken ninth overall at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, was called “the best defenseman outside the NHL,” by ISS director of amateur scouting Dennis MacInnis back in May.
Since then, the 19-year-old starred in the Canadia-Russia Challenge tournament and got off to a torrid start to the OHL season, racking up seven points in eight games with a plus-8 rating.
No wonder Julien’s excited about having Hamilton in a Bruins uniform.
“What I saw told me that he deserves the opportunity,” Julien explained. “I’d lean more toward him having a great chance [to crack the Bruins lineup] than not.”
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 2
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)