Oct 12, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT
The Dougie Hamilton love-in continued on Thursday when CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty caught up with Bruins coach Claude Julien.
Julien told Haggerty he took in a few of Hamilton’s OHL Niagara games on a recent scouting trip, and was blown away at the young defenseman’s game.
“Dougie is such a big player and he’s gotten so much stronger. He was just outstanding,” Julien said. “It was impressive to see him. I’d say he has a great chance to stick [in the NHL].”
Hamilton, taken ninth overall at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, was called “the best defenseman outside the NHL,” by ISS director of amateur scouting Dennis MacInnis back in May.
Since then, the 19-year-old starred in the Canadia-Russia Challenge tournament and got off to a torrid start to the OHL season, racking up seven points in eight games with a plus-8 rating.
No wonder Julien’s excited about having Hamilton in a Bruins uniform.
“What I saw told me that he deserves the opportunity,” Julien explained. “I’d lean more toward him having a great chance [to crack the Bruins lineup] than not.”
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)