Oct 11, 2012, 1:36 PM EST
Dale Weise is set to join the Tilburg Trappers of the Dutch Eredivisie and, in the process, become the first Vancouver Canuck to play overseas during the current work stoppage.
Here’s more, from The Province’s Ben Kuzma:
The fourth-line grinder will get much needed work on his offensive skills in the free-wheeling league and prove that by avoiding arbitration in the summer — agreeing to a one-year, one-way deal with the Canucks for $615,000 US after turning down a two-way qualifying offer — he can reward the club’s faith and score more than the four goals he had last season in 68 games.
The Trappers have been in the league final five of the last six years and won championships in 2007 and 2008.
Weise is set to replace Pittsburgh’s Dustin Jeffrey with the Trappers. The Pittsburgh winger had (reportedly) agreed to join the Dutch team, but did an about face earlier this week and inked with Medvescak Zagreb of the Austrian league instead.
It will be curious to see if the Weise signing spurs other Canucks to pursue hockey jobs. Daniel and Henrik Sedin have long been linked to Swedish Elite League club Modo and Manny Malhotra played for Sweden’s HV71 Konkoping during the last work stoppage.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)