Oct 11, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
Dale Weise is set to join the Tilburg Trappers of the Dutch Eredivisie and, in the process, become the first Vancouver Canuck to play overseas during the current work stoppage.
Here’s more, from The Province’s Ben Kuzma:
The fourth-line grinder will get much needed work on his offensive skills in the free-wheeling league and prove that by avoiding arbitration in the summer — agreeing to a one-year, one-way deal with the Canucks for $615,000 US after turning down a two-way qualifying offer — he can reward the club’s faith and score more than the four goals he had last season in 68 games.
The Trappers have been in the league final five of the last six years and won championships in 2007 and 2008.
Weise is set to replace Pittsburgh’s Dustin Jeffrey with the Trappers. The Pittsburgh winger had (reportedly) agreed to join the Dutch team, but did an about face earlier this week and inked with Medvescak Zagreb of the Austrian league instead.
It will be curious to see if the Weise signing spurs other Canucks to pursue hockey jobs. Daniel and Henrik Sedin have long been linked to Swedish Elite League club Modo and Manny Malhotra played for Sweden’s HV71 Konkoping during the last work stoppage.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 3
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 10
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 73
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (76)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)