Oct 11, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
Dale Weise is set to join the Tilburg Trappers of the Dutch Eredivisie and, in the process, become the first Vancouver Canuck to play overseas during the current work stoppage.
Here’s more, from The Province’s Ben Kuzma:
The fourth-line grinder will get much needed work on his offensive skills in the free-wheeling league and prove that by avoiding arbitration in the summer — agreeing to a one-year, one-way deal with the Canucks for $615,000 US after turning down a two-way qualifying offer — he can reward the club’s faith and score more than the four goals he had last season in 68 games.
The Trappers have been in the league final five of the last six years and won championships in 2007 and 2008.
Weise is set to replace Pittsburgh’s Dustin Jeffrey with the Trappers. The Pittsburgh winger had (reportedly) agreed to join the Dutch team, but did an about face earlier this week and inked with Medvescak Zagreb of the Austrian league instead.
It will be curious to see if the Weise signing spurs other Canucks to pursue hockey jobs. Daniel and Henrik Sedin have long been linked to Swedish Elite League club Modo and Manny Malhotra played for Sweden’s HV71 Konkoping during the last work stoppage.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)