Oct 11, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
For the second straight day, Germany’s tier two hockey league has scored the services of an NHL netminder.
Los Angeles goalie Jonathan Bernier has agreed to terms with Heilbronner Falken, according to the team website. This comes a day after another ESBG outfit, SC Riessersee, locked up New York Islanders ‘tender Rick DiPietro.
The Bernier move is interesting given how this past summer unfolded.
After Jonathan Quick backstopped the Kings to a Stanley Cup and signed a 10-year, $60 million extension, reports surfaced that Bernier — taken 16th overall in 2006, to be LA’s goalie of the future — was ready to be traded.
Bernier, 24, is in the final season of a two-year, $2.5 million deal with the Kings and will be an RFA in 2013. As such, this promised to be a vital year for his future — he was set to either be showcased by the Kings for a potential trade or audition for suitors for next summer’s free agency.
The biggest knock on Bernier is his small NHL resume. He’s been stuck largely behind Quick (a noted workhorse) with his career-best numbers coming in 2010-11: 25 games, 11-8-3 record, .913 save percentage and 2.48 GAA.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)