Oct 11, 2012, 11:31 AM EST
For the second straight day, Germany’s tier two hockey league has scored the services of an NHL netminder.
Los Angeles goalie Jonathan Bernier has agreed to terms with Heilbronner Falken, according to the team website. This comes a day after another ESBG outfit, SC Riessersee, locked up New York Islanders ‘tender Rick DiPietro.
The Bernier move is interesting given how this past summer unfolded.
After Jonathan Quick backstopped the Kings to a Stanley Cup and signed a 10-year, $60 million extension, reports surfaced that Bernier — taken 16th overall in 2006, to be LA’s goalie of the future — was ready to be traded.
Bernier, 24, is in the final season of a two-year, $2.5 million deal with the Kings and will be an RFA in 2013. As such, this promised to be a vital year for his future — he was set to either be showcased by the Kings for a potential trade or audition for suitors for next summer’s free agency.
The biggest knock on Bernier is his small NHL resume. He’s been stuck largely behind Quick (a noted workhorse) with his career-best numbers coming in 2010-11: 25 games, 11-8-3 record, .913 save percentage and 2.48 GAA.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)