Oct 11, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
For the second straight day, Germany’s tier two hockey league has scored the services of an NHL netminder.
Los Angeles goalie Jonathan Bernier has agreed to terms with Heilbronner Falken, according to the team website. This comes a day after another ESBG outfit, SC Riessersee, locked up New York Islanders ‘tender Rick DiPietro.
The Bernier move is interesting given how this past summer unfolded.
After Jonathan Quick backstopped the Kings to a Stanley Cup and signed a 10-year, $60 million extension, reports surfaced that Bernier — taken 16th overall in 2006, to be LA’s goalie of the future — was ready to be traded.
Bernier, 24, is in the final season of a two-year, $2.5 million deal with the Kings and will be an RFA in 2013. As such, this promised to be a vital year for his future — he was set to either be showcased by the Kings for a potential trade or audition for suitors for next summer’s free agency.
The biggest knock on Bernier is his small NHL resume. He’s been stuck largely behind Quick (a noted workhorse) with his career-best numbers coming in 2010-11: 25 games, 11-8-3 record, .913 save percentage and 2.48 GAA.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 29
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)