Oct 11, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
For the second straight day, Germany’s tier two hockey league has scored the services of an NHL netminder.
Los Angeles goalie Jonathan Bernier has agreed to terms with Heilbronner Falken, according to the team website. This comes a day after another ESBG outfit, SC Riessersee, locked up New York Islanders ‘tender Rick DiPietro.
The Bernier move is interesting given how this past summer unfolded.
After Jonathan Quick backstopped the Kings to a Stanley Cup and signed a 10-year, $60 million extension, reports surfaced that Bernier — taken 16th overall in 2006, to be LA’s goalie of the future — was ready to be traded.
Bernier, 24, is in the final season of a two-year, $2.5 million deal with the Kings and will be an RFA in 2013. As such, this promised to be a vital year for his future — he was set to either be showcased by the Kings for a potential trade or audition for suitors for next summer’s free agency.
The biggest knock on Bernier is his small NHL resume. He’s been stuck largely behind Quick (a noted workhorse) with his career-best numbers coming in 2010-11: 25 games, 11-8-3 record, .913 save percentage and 2.48 GAA.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)