Oct 11, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
For the second straight day, Germany’s tier two hockey league has scored the services of an NHL netminder.
Los Angeles goalie Jonathan Bernier has agreed to terms with Heilbronner Falken, according to the team website. This comes a day after another ESBG outfit, SC Riessersee, locked up New York Islanders ‘tender Rick DiPietro.
The Bernier move is interesting given how this past summer unfolded.
After Jonathan Quick backstopped the Kings to a Stanley Cup and signed a 10-year, $60 million extension, reports surfaced that Bernier — taken 16th overall in 2006, to be LA’s goalie of the future — was ready to be traded.
Bernier, 24, is in the final season of a two-year, $2.5 million deal with the Kings and will be an RFA in 2013. As such, this promised to be a vital year for his future — he was set to either be showcased by the Kings for a potential trade or audition for suitors for next summer’s free agency.
The biggest knock on Bernier is his small NHL resume. He’s been stuck largely behind Quick (a noted workhorse) with his career-best numbers coming in 2010-11: 25 games, 11-8-3 record, .913 save percentage and 2.48 GAA.
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturay 0
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)