Oct 11, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
To little surprise, fans are expressing their lockout-related rage on various forums with opening night officially beyond saving.
One interesting venue is TSN’s main NHL page.
The network put up a simple poll asking if fans will return to NHL hockey once the work stoppage runs its course. While the majority said “Yes,” a stunning 44.4 percent of the 30,807 voters said they wouldn’t.
As people like Aaron Portzline point out, it’s unlikely that such a large segment of the potential NHL audience will truly be lost. Still, it gives Bill Daly & Co. good reason to worry about how much momentum could be lost.
#NHLJets J Slater: “We were at a bar one night and guys are yelling, ‘You guys should be playing hockey and not drinking.'" Fans get'g angry—
Paul Friesen (@friesensunmedia) October 11, 2012
Slater admits he understands how fans are feeling.
“They’re mad at both sides. If I was a fan, I would be, too,” Slater said.
It looks like there’s a lot of angry fans, at that.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 8
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40